Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

volume control question,

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chalie, Mar 2, 2006.

1. When you run the bass preamp to the poweramp that both have its own master volume control. How should we manage the level of each one or in another word who take the control?

My guess is that you better have the control on the power amp side on higher level (6-8) and then lean the sound via the master control on the preamp side. Is this correct?

Please advice.

2. I saw different concept in my other posted question.
    what is your thought
    :help:

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You can do whatever works for you.

If you're using a preamp that is built for clean, clear sound, it's best to set your preamp level to just below the point where the preamp clips, then use the knob on your power amp to control overall volume. This gets you the best signal to noise ratio.

However - this also depends on the preamp you're using. If you're using a preamp that is built to give some level of "grind" - something like an Ampeg SVP, for example - you set your preamp wherever it sounds like you want it to. In this situation, you may find that you want a little more grind from the preamp at lower volumes, a little less at higher volumes, so you'd do a little more back and forth adjustment between the preamp and power amp until you arrive at the volume and tone you want. But if you find that you can dial in one certain level of drive that sounds good to you at all volumes, you dial in the preamp and use the power amp to control volume. This way your sound remains consistent.

You see, electronics these days are generally high enough quality that even if you're not pushing the preamp to it's highest level, you're still going to get a signal to noise ratio that is entirely acceptable, especially for live use. In most situations, no ones ears are going to be able to tell the difference between .001% distortion and .006% distortion. Noise is quite a bit more important if you're in the recording studio, since every little bit of noise on every track adds up and can get to the point where it is definitely noticeable.

4. thanks guys for being support