1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

volume control

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by r05c03, Apr 20, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I am not sure what forum this fits in exactly, but it is heavily influenced by effects so I will put it here. But usually I play in small places supporting acoustic players, I generally do not have to crank my amp or compete with the other players and generally have not relied on petals to get sounds. However I have recently been practicing with a amplified band and now that I am turning up the amp and using effects and all I am wondering where you all generally control your volume. Do you do it at the bass, in the effects chain, or at the amp. It gets tricky with those pedals that can alter volume, add gain or whatever. Which is easiest and will cause the less grief in a gigging situation? thanks.

2. My preference would be to set and forget the levels on the pedals. They are too far away for you to get to them easily. Try and make sure that every effect that you set up has the same volume as the others.

That leaves you with the volume control on the bass, and the volume control on the main amp. I tend to start with about two thirds volume on the bass, and set the main amp at the right level. That way, if I need to increase volume in a hurry, the control is within inches of my right hand, not several feet behind me.

The purists might say that you should minimise background noise by sending the max signal from your bass, but in a band situation, where you and others are using distorted sounds, it is unlikely that anyone is going to hear the difference. However, if you are also going through the PA, you should not adjust anything upstream of their take-off point after you have completed sound checks.

3. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    Or you can just get a volume pedal! :D

4. what he said

5. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    I like to leave the bass volume all the way up so I can get a predictable signal level at the effects, since I use effects that are envelope-controlled. Then, for convenience, I use a volume pedal on the output side of the effects to control the volume without having to walk to the amp (or having to change the sensitivity settings on the pedals)

I guess if you are not using effects that are envelope-controlled, just using the bass volume would be the easiest.

Jeff

6. Funkypants

Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    I use it the same way.

7. If you want a great way to control your volume, i suggest the visual volume pedal...they just re-released it!
    http://www.visualsound.net/Pedal_vv.htm

with that, you can see how loud your bass will be :)

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    At the bass, especially with envelope effects. Can change the way the thing sounds, and overdrive too, how much it overdrives. Generally have a volume pedal at the end though.