Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume cut w/ active bass?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, Jun 30, 2002.

1. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a Peavey Firebass 700 head and an Ampeg STV410HLF cabinet. With that, i play through either a Fender MIM 4 string Jazz bass (passive), or an Ibanez Soundgear 6 string bass (active electronics only, 9volt).

I have found the jazz bass to be MUCH MUCH louder than the Ibanez, and i can't figure out why.... THe head has a switch to change from active to passive basses (which i use accordingly)... WHat can i do to fix this or adjust to it????

Any suggestions will be VERY VERY greatly appreciated.

BTW...., both are VERY new, and have been played only a few times in my garage, never pushed or gigged.

THanks!
    Evan

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Just don't use the active/passive switch. It's a holdout from when active basses were louder than passive ones. Most now have about the same output level. Leave it on "passive".

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Did you check to see if the battery is any good? They have to be replaced fairly often. Leaving the bass plugged in while not in use decreases the life of the battery as well.

Also, it's your choice whether to use the active/passive switch. The only difference it will make is if you have it in passive mode using an active bass, it may cause the head to clip sooner than it normally would, but than can be compensated for by a slight decrease in volume. If it clips badly in passive mode, switch it to active. If it doesn't clip in passive, I say just leave it where it is.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What geshel said.