Volume difference between 550 and 800 watts.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, May 8, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Will it mean anything through the same cabs? I am looking at:

Yorkville XS800H
    IAMP 800
    Eden WT-550
    Thunderfunk TFB-550

to run through 2 Aguilar GS112s.
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    It'll mean having a tiny bit of extra headroom (cleaner) when running at the same level you're running at now. It will not go significantly louder, all things being equal. Note that one "500 watt" head is not neccesarily even the same power as another "500 watt" head due to differences in the way manufacturers measure output, EQs, etc.

From what I understand though, that iAmp800 packs a lot of punch.
  3. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Amount of headroom isn't dependant just on watts. It's all in the way the unit was designed.

A 500 watt and an 800 watt head will have nearly the same volume, if they were made by the same manufacturer. However, you're comparing apples to oranges in a way. There's no way to tell which will be the loudest without testing them all out with your rig, but there shouldn't be a large difference.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what they said.

manufacturers unfortunately use a few different methods for reporting wattage so two 400 watt heads can have diferent volumes. back 15 years ago it wasn't unusual for a trace elliot smx 300 to blow away an swr sm-900 run in bridge mono mode.

that said, if the ratings are equal you'll get about 2 dB difference which will be barely noticeable.

BUT it all comes down to having the two amps in the same room and finding out.
  5. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Having played all but the Yorkville, I can tell you that all the watts are different - that is to say that the other 3 amps (iAmp, TF & Eden WT-550) have 3 different sounds at the same "volume."
  6. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks, I'm looking for tube warmth with clarity and also some fuzziness when I want it. I currently have an RBI + poweramp and I am looking to lighten the load, get more tubey warmth/grit and yet still retain the ability to be outspoken. I don't want the sound to feel muted or as if its hiding under a blanket.

Also, am I going to feel a difference in headroom between these amps?
  7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I guess if you are looking for tube warmth, clarity and some fuzziness, I know for a fact that the Yorkville XS800H will give you all that, plus the 800 watts of power !!!

I never needed to go past level 4.5 on my XS800H and we play loud. 20 years of gigging and I can tell you that !!!
  8. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I liked the XS800H when I tried it, but tonally I may be searching for something a little brighter. It's a great amp with nice warm tone that is nearly as loud as my 1200 watt rig. I'm still thinking on that one.

However, I had trouble getting out from under that dark 'blanket' of warm tone. It always sounded like the highs were muted. Bumping the compression off helped it step forward a lot. My RBI still sounds more 'out front'. Perhaps it was because I had the tweeters turned off on the aggies. Maybe I didn't tweak it the right way: there's a lot that one can adjust! I didn't explore the resonance knob either.
  9. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Well, to my experience, the Resonance and Scoop adjustments make a big difference in getting a sharper Tone. I agree that one need to tweak the XS800H for some time to get the Tone you want, it was the case for me, but once you got it, man, this rig really rocks !
  10. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Of the three I've owned, and based on your description, I would lean to the TF or Eden.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  12. O.K.......So maybe this thread is the answer to my delema and maybe not. I know your talking about different amps and some high end stuff but with my HA3500 I can only run my 215XL at 4 ohms for a total of 350 watts right? So, with a HA5000 it says it will run 2 sides at 4 ohms at 250 watts a side, so with the 5000 could I run another 4 ohm cab say a 410 on top of the 215XL? I haven't seen Hartke with a 4 ohm 410XL but I suppose I could order a 4 ohm cab thru another manufacturer, right? I'm happy with my rig but alway's wondered about adding a 410 on top and is 250 a side better than just 350 watts into a 215 at 4 ohms...........Thanx
  13. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Correct me if im wrong, 2 db is unoticable. 3 db difference is the lowest noticable difference.

14. Correct
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That is correct, and it takes double the power to add 3 dB.
  16. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Personally, i'd suggest the Mesa BB750. Tubey warmth with a very nice o/d that's footswitchable. I'd absolutely love one, but funds don't permit me to.

The Thunderfunk won't be able to get you the grit you want at all, I was looking at this amp (Still in the back of my mind) but the lack of o/d is a downside to me.

Another amp that may interest you is the Aguilar 500 (If you havn't tried it). I played it through an Aguilar 410+212 setup and it was LOUD. Even with the 212 by it self it was a very nice amp. It got a very nice warm and gooey tone (Not Aguilar tube tone, but still nice) and the o/d was verry gritty and could sound nice with a little tweaking.. I'm considering this amp now compared to a Sunn 300T, only problem is it only goes to 4ohm, not 2 (Not a prob for you though).

Perhaps (I'm not sure how much the RBI weighs) you could get a Yorkville and use both that and the RBI and switch between the two? Or would that be too heavy.
  17. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Actually, one db is considered to be the smallest difference that humans can hear. I had always been taught that in my days of selling audio gear, and I just got off a website stating the same.
  18. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I thought about doing this. I'd have to keep the rack and RBI though, and I'm trying to shrink as well as lighten the load.
  19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The difference between amps rated at 550 and 800 watts will show up only on peaks; the lower-power one will clip at about 2 dB lower than the more powerful one will. One won't necessarily be louder or softer than the other, but the higher-power amp will be capable of going slightly louder before clipping.
  20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You are not going to get fuzziness from an iAMP without an effects pedal. The iAMP is a very clean amp.