Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume difference???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by [SD], Aug 22, 2004.

1. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    Hi, i'd like to know if there is any volume difference from this two cab situations:

4x10 + tweeter 600W RMS powered with 200W
    4x10 300W RMS powered with 200W

I'm gonna buy a warwick cab and it would only get 200W so the 410pro is 300W and the 411pro is 600W w/tweeter so i'd like to know if i would get more volume from the 411 even if i power it with 200W as i would with the 410 also.

Thanks.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ok 1st the power handling capabilities of the cabinets have nothing to do with your question as you're talking about powering either one with less watts than it can handle
    the real missing ingredient in your question is the sensitivity of the 2 cabinets in question (this will be stated as dB, sometimes dB 1K @ 1 watt @ 1 meter)
    bass cabinets typically run from about a sensitivity of 98 dB to 106 dB, if one cabinet is at least 3 dB more sensitive than the other you'll notice a difference. Not only that, but in order to get a cabinet that is 3 dB less sensitive to sound as loud takes twice the wattage

3. Yes. Check the sensitivity of the cabs. You will then find the louder one, or they may be the same.

4. From what I just dug up the 410 pro is 101db @1w-1m. The 411 pro is 102db @1w-1m. This is not a noticable difference. Both cabinets will have the same volume if driven with the same power. The decision between the two would come down to other needs. The 411 will sound brighter and will handle more power, but the 410 is a better match for your current power source and is probably less expensive (didn't check that). From my experience most speakers sound better when driven with the most power they can handle. This usually has something to do with the magnets I believe.

Anyway I would pick the 410 pro unless I needed a tweeter.

5. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    thanks you for your answers!
    yeap i want a tweeter and i get more for my money if i buy the 411 cuz there is like 100euros difference and 300W more of power handling, so if i ever want to push it more i can and if i want to sell it i can sell i'llg et more money for it. SO i'll go for the 411.

thanks for the keep answers

6. Sounds like a good plan to me. It's good to think of the future.

7. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    yeap, even more when i buy it in germany 649euros and they sell it here in Spain for 895euros! so if i ever sell it i can even sell it for what i paid for and still i would be a great! deal! for the buyer hehehehe

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    good idea getting the better cabinet - you never know if you're gonna end up with a powerhouse of an amp one day
    always buy with the future in mind ;)