Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume disproportional to tone?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Apr 15, 2002.

1. I play an A.M.P. BH-420 through a Yorkville 2x10...my bass is a washburn XB-200 w/old halfrounds...and my tone at a low volume is everything i wished for...smooth, round, juicy and bassy. But as soon as i turn the gain knob to get more volume my tone becomes harsh and trebly...is there any way to solve this?

2. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Thats what the gain will do. If you have a master volume control, boost that instead of gain.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Sounds like you are clipping, (distorting), the signal.

4. i have it set up so volume is at 85% and gain at 15%...if i add more gain, should i decrease volume (sorry...not at home right now)

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The Gain can only compensate for so much, IME.

Sorry, but the only answer I know after 30 or so years is;

Technique/practice + Equipment $$$$$$$$

6. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    try adding another cabinet. a 1x15 with your 2x10 will allow you to get the volume you want without having to work the amp as hard.

7. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    If the cab has a tweeter, try to turn it down a little, or EQ some treble out. That could help, but the root of the problem I believe is the signal is clipping.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Also, if that head has a preamp tube, try swapping out a couple of different tubes. Some are more resistant to distortion than others, and they all sound at least a little different. If there is a tube and it's a 12AX7, you could also try an ECC83 or a 7025, which are essentially equivalent, or a 5751, which is compatible but has a tad less gain.

Somebody around here has an AMP and could probably help more. Is it Bruce? or Chris F? Or Brad Johnson?