Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume drop when both pickups are on full

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hstiles, Nov 20, 2003.

1. I bought a MIM Jazz 4 as a backup bass a few months ago. Very nice for a budget guitar.

Anyway, I bought a pair of Kent Armstrong hot vintage jazz pickups off of ebay a couple of days ago and popped them in.

Now, each pickup on it's own sounds huge, fat, wonderful and a massive improvement.

However, when both are on full you notice a drop in volume and the sound hollows right out, which I assume is a phase cancellation issue of side kind.

Is this correct? Is this how a vintage jazz should sound with both pickups maxxed? I'm at something of a disadvantage - for the past 10 years I've been playing active basses, mostly with blend controls rather than dual volume, so I don't have a suitable reference. The stock pickups didn't do it - but then the stock pickups sounded pretty rotten anyway.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    This is also on my MIA Jazz V. When both pickups are on full, there is a slight drop in volume.

I don´t mind though since I usually have the neck pickup at full and turn the bridge all the way down.

I don´t know if this is supposed to be like this, but at least it´s on mine too.

3. Thanks for your reply. Is your MIA Jazz 5 passive as I don't notice on my MIA Deluxe Jazz 5, so I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that the passive pickups are much higher impedance or something.

4. Bekkeland

Bekkeland

May 16, 2003
    Sandnes, Norway
    With both pickups on full the output of each pickup goes into the other one. This, and some amount of phase cancellation causes this. Differences in design makes different pickups respond differently to this, i think. Some people like this, because it's part of the Jazz bass sound. I don't.