1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volume dying form amp... only to return!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Misanthropic, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Hey all,

My combo has this strange problem - all of a sudden it's volume dies away, until it's almost quiet. Then it stays like that for a few seconds or longer, only to rise again to it's normal level!! It's like someone would turn the volume knob.

And this has happened on two occasions, i.e. two different days, but several times during that particular playing session. The first time, while at a garage, playing with the volume/gain at like 60-70%. Today it happened again, while playing bedroom volume.

First I thought it was my bass, but then i changed to another and it happened again. I also changed the cord.

The amp is this:

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=44

Hughes & Kettner Quantum 412 combo.

And, while typing this up, the problem seems to have gone away... for now. This is so weird.:confused:

2. Before pub-time bump.

3. ids it getting hot when it does it, maybe your amp has a safety heat limiter thingy :)

4. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I had the same problem with a used GK 400RBIII. I took it to GK and they said it was a bad preamp board. They swapped it out and I have had no problems since.

Do you have an effects loop? If so, plug a signal into the return and see if the signal drops again, if so it is the power stage. If not, it is most likely in your preamp stage somewhere.