Volume fluctuations from C9 organ - compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Jan 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

So I've posted before that I've put together a setup to bi-amp, splitting a signal off a microPOG an octave up which ultimately goes to a guitar amp. Along the way, there are two Pitchforks for further pitch shifting, an EHX C9 organ pedal, an SUF civil war fuzz, then a killswitch and off to the amp. Most of the time, if I'm sending anything on the signal chain (sometimes I just play bass...), it's through the fuzz with or without some pitchfork, and that's no problem.

The problem is the C9. I'm finding the volume very unpredictable. I don't stack it with any of the other pedals in the chain, it just gets the higher-octave signal from the microPOG. Sometimes it seems sluggish and I can barely get a sound out of it, then suddenly BLAM and it's howling super loud.

So the question is, have other people had this issue with the C9, and what did you do about it? I haven't had much luck so far controlling it with just technique, but is that what I need to do? Or, should I get a compressor to go with it, and if so, which one? Preserving low frequencies isn't the issue here that it usually is on TB, since this is the high-frequency chain. Don't want to spend a lot, and actually there's no obvious additional space on the board so I'm not even sure where I'd put it.

The salesman at a local store is pushing an MXR dynacomp, says "the design hasn't been changed for years and there's a good reason for that." I also looked at the Mooer online just because it's cheap and in a small 1590a casing that I could fit in more easily. Neither seems to have good reviews from @bongomania over at ovnilabs, though. Any other ideas?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Does the C9 only have volume extremes around certain notes? Or will it randomly blast/cut volume with any note equally? Like if you just play an ostinato on one note, does the volume jump around?

3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    This is concerning, I was considering one of these for trio work.

4. hrodbert696

Just had a chance to power up and check this. It does seem to be around certain notes - for instance, a high D on the G string will blare pretty loud (or at least, I can make it do so with minimal effort) whereas the same high D at the 12th fret of the D string won't, or at least I can pound on it and still not get the same loudness. The G string in general seems to be louder than the others through the C9 (not the case otherwise). But on the E string, the G will be louder than other notes around it. It doesn't seem to jump around randomly if I just pedal the note but it does seem to be a lot more sensitive to how hard I'm playing at those points. Ideas?

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I do think a compressor might be the ticket. I'd put the comp in front of the C9, to level the signal you're feeding it. If you want to go bananas, put an Empress Parametric EQ in the sidechain of an Empress compressor--that should do a selective job of correcting the weird resonant points causing these volume jumps. Otherwise, a small simple choice would be the Xotic SP.

6. hrodbert696

Thanks! I'll try and keep it simple for now, see how it works. Will report back once I have the chance to pick one up.

7. hrodbert696

AND it just so happens I was in the local GC today and there was an Xotic SP right there under the glass counter! Brought it home and fired it up, and it does indeed seem to be doing the trick. Will need to hear more live at band practice next week to be sure. Thanks for the recommendation!