1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Volume/Headroom comparison: 400+ and DB750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, May 12, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I played a gig with my trusty ole t-funk but this band was a bit loud for the TFB420 to keep up. I'm thinking of upgrading to a louder head and the 400+ and DB750 come to mind as they would match my cab quite well.

How do these 2 compare volume/headroom wise? How loud is the 400+ before it breaks up as I like my amps clean?

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Wow, I'm interested in this thread also! I have a DB750 coming my way and I already own a 400+. One will have to go after I A/B them and make my decision. SUBSCRIBED!

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've played 'em both but never A/B'd 'em, but my money's going to be on the DB750, based on what I've heard hereabouts. I'm waiting with baited breath.

4. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I always thought that the DB750 had more useable volume. The 400+ is a monster, plenty of power on tap, but I could never focus it in the right frequencies, so basically, the DB750 is louder. I A/Bd them when I got my DB750, and I'll only be keeping my DB750, for reasons of volume, tone, and headroom. The DB750 has considerably more headroom.

5. I used to play through a 400+. They put out some volume, but like any tube amp...they do break up. I've only had my DB750 for about 2 weeks, so I don't have a ton of experience with it. But based on what i've heard so far...the DB750 is definitely louder, and cleaner (when you need it to be).

EDIT: The 400+ does push more low end though. But the 750 is tighter and faster, and mroe focused. The 400+ has a more weighty feel to it, with more girth...but a slower response. And it can get pretty boomy if you're not careful.

-Nick

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I dunno which one is louder, but both will give you more headroom than you could possibly need. The 400+ could probabally get as loud as the 750, but it would be driven into distortion to do it.

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I've never played through a 400+, but my local bass hero... a dude that simply mesmerizes me everytime I get the chance to hear him play... uses one of these with some kind of Mesa 4 x 10", and his sound is fantastic. However, he could play through a little Pignose and make it sound awesome, too...:D...

...I've gone through a few amps in my 30+ years, and I've finally found my primary workhorse... DB750...;)

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I look at this fact as more of a added benifit that the 400+ has, than a short-coming.
    I dont think of the higher volume levels as becoming more distorted, I think of them as making my amp sound better....:smug:

When I want a clean tone out of my 400+/NV610, I stick to using a reasonable preamp level, no pulls, near flat tone settings and only use channel one's input.
    I can then bring the master way up and stay very clean at stupid-high volume levels.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    While I've not done a side-byside A/B, I have tons of time with the 400+, and a fair amount of time with the 750. Overall voume and headroom?...I believe this is a fistfight the DB750 is gonna win.