1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

volume knob on bass guitar not working

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrFred, Sep 8, 2008.

1. MrFred

MrFred

Mar 25, 2007
    Honolulu, HI
    i bought a used bass from a guy. tried it out and everything worked. took it home worked fine for about 10 minutes then the knob for volume stopped working and wont let me turn the volume down. all of the other knob controls work fine. its just the volume knob that's funny. any ideas on what went wrong and how to fix it?

if it helps, its a Carvin with active/passive electronics.

2. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Maybe the knob came loose from the shaft--see if the knob comes off or anything, and tighten its screw

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

A couple of possibilities:

1. Loose knob

2. Bad volume pot

3. Broken ground connection for volume pot

An easy job for a tech to fix.

4. MrFred

MrFred

Mar 25, 2007
    Honolulu, HI
    thanks guys. just gonna take it in today to get it fixed.

5. MrFred

MrFred

Mar 25, 2007
    Honolulu, HI
    took it in and they said i'd probably have to order a part from carvin. sucks living in hawaii. well, im moving to SoCal next week and i can fix it there. until then, i'll just use a pedal to control my volume.

6. Okay, this is the FIRST time I've ever heard this one. :D

7. MrFred

MrFred

Mar 25, 2007
    Honolulu, HI
    haha. well... access to a lot of things are limited. i have my personal reasons, but in terms of music, if youre not playing in a hawaiian or reggae band, venues to play at are extremely limited. i play in a metal band and played 20+ shows, mostly in one venue.

8. I can see that. But speaking from someone who lives in an area where it's overcast and cold 6 months of the year, Hawaii seems like paradise. :)

9. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Try living in an area where its overcast, cold and/or raining for ~350 days a year!

6months of decent weather seems like paradise! :smug:

10. But you have such pretty landscape in Ireland. That would kind of make up for some of it, I would think.

11. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I lived in Cleveland for a year and half - man I wish I had that time back!!!

12. MrFred

MrFred

Mar 25, 2007
    Honolulu, HI
    well, im moving to southern california next week. the weather shouldnt be too bad for me.

13. a-lenthe

a-lenthe

Jul 27, 2007
    Ohio

Its only nice here for three months. June, July and August. Other than that its rubbish. Worst part is the condition of the roads.

14. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    You like cold? You like snow? Temperature was 37F when I woke up this morning. Only 12 more days of summer!

15. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    It does, I'm only slagging, I've travelled a lot and I've yet to see a country as beautiful as my own!