1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volume knob problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by geesharp, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Hi guys,
    Need some advice here.

I have a Fender Precision Plus bass (not sure about production date, but bought it new in 1992)... the volume knob doesn't work right.

I have to set the volume button anywhere between 80% to 100% to hear the sound. Lower than that and there's no sound.

Can anyone advice me what the problem might be and what part(s) need to be replaced?
    Thanks in adavance guys.

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Is there absolutely no sound, or just much quieter beyond 80%? If the latter, the taper of the pot may be just a really steep log taper... a linear taper pot might help you get the even-ness throughout the turn of the pot...

geesharp and Killed_by_Death like this.
  3. Just weighing in as another advocate for a linear taper pot.
    I'd also urge you to replace all the pots with 500K Ohm, but stick with audio taper for the treble cut pot.

If you don't want the added brightness & output, go with 250K Ohm pots.

saabfender and geesharp like this.
  4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    +3 on linear taper volume pots.

geesharp and Killed_by_Death like this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If it's been doing that the whole time it's the taper. If it changed recently the inside of the pot is dirty.
    You can spray contact cleaner in the back of the pot to clean it in that case.

saabfender and geesharp like this.
  6. Thank you very much guys.
    To answers your questions:
    @sikamikanico , it's much quiter below 80%. I can still hear but the master volume on my combo has to be fully turn up, otherwise I can't hear anything.

@lz4005 , IIRC it's been doing that for a while now, but I can't remember exactly when it started.
    Thanks again guys, I will look into getting a new pot.
    Thanks.