Volume knob scratch noise and suddenly drops to 0 volume?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GabrielPbass, Jun 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. GabrielPbass

GabrielPbass

Jun 10, 2020
    Brazil
    Hello guys, recently I bought a Tagima tw 66 (pbass). When I turn down the volume knob and turn it up again sometimes I won't get any volume at all, so I have to keep turning it until the volume returns again, there's some scratches noises too, could it be dirty inside the pot or bad solder joints?

Here's a picture of the wiring, I though the hot wire was touching the grouding joint but it wasn't. I think this soldering looks... acceptable, well cheap bass cheap circuit. Impressively it has a nice tone
    IMG_20210606_130745.jpg

2. Whoever did that did a terrible job. It's possible you may just have dirty controls. It also looks like one of the leads of the capacitor (green) is leaning against the pot case, which could do exactly what you are describing.

Edit: In looking at the photo closer, you should really get someone qualified to fix that up properly. I can see all kinds of potential problems.

Lownote38 and GabrielPbass like this.
  3. GabrielPbass

GabrielPbass

Jun 10, 2020
    Brazil
    It seems that the soldering in the white wire was too thick and it was touching the metal plate, I cut a little bit of that solder with a scissor and it's working for now, if it happens again I might just replace the pots. Thanks

4. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I'm gonna say it's this guy IMG_20210606_130745.jpg
    I have no idea what is going on there. And, that's your hot.

So, fix that first. If the problem persists, you need to swap out your pots. There's something wrong in your volume pot. Those are cheap chinese trash anyway. You should really wire up some quality pots regardless. I use Bourns B pots.

5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That's quite a butcher job when it comes to soldering (although I've seen much worse). If I had one that looked like that, I'd start over again.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022