1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Volume knobs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SWiTCH, Jan 13, 2006.

1. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    My mesa head has a "volume" knob and a "master" knob. They both seem to do the same thing. Can someone tell me what the difference is?

2. the volume knobs are pre-gain and the master is post-gain, i think

3. deanthemachine

deanthemachine

May 3, 2005
    I currently run a svt350 with the 410he and the 15e. I play in a very loud rock band, (2 guitarists with halfstacks). At first I had just the 410..and it wasnt enough. I had the amp pretty much maxed, and was compromising the sound. Once I threw the 15 on however, the sound is amazing, and have plenty of power.

4. Well that was random.

Here's a similar question
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203370&highlight=master+boost

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you have the bass 400 head, then you have volume 1 and volume 2 for two different inputs/guitars with different volume settings. "master" raises or lowers both volumes at the same time. if I were you I'd set you "volume" about 1/2 and use the "master" most of the time. if you find yourself short of volume, turn up the "volume" some more.