Volume levels

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sqeejo12000, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Okay so heres the skinny. I just recently broke down and purchased a new Avatar B2x12 Delta and a Ashdown MAg600. Okay so my guitr players are using a Marshall 100wt head and 4x12 cab and the other is a 5152 head 100wt and a Genz-Benz cab 4x12. Now i figured even at the 8ohm level I was going to be able to blow them out of the water. I still can't keep up volume wise even at full output level without clipping the amp! I even put another 4x10 cab with it and still couldn't keep up with the levels. Whats wrong with this picture. I mean is 575wts still not enough. I am going crazy trying to figure this one out. I need help. :help:
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    first, tell them to turn down. it sounds like they're playing waaaaaaaaaaay too loud.

next, welcome to the disparity between guitar amps and bass amps. between tube amps generaly sounding louder, (a very complex subject), the fact that the eg doesnt need as many watts to be as loud as an EB due to different frequencies being amplified, and the fact that eg speakers tend to be very efficient, it's easy to get buried.

i would look at the way you eq your rig. You'll find that you can get more volume out of it if you don't boost bass frequencies, and perhaps even boosting some mid to high mid frequencies.

I'm really not familiar with your rig, so i cant make specific coments that way.

go check out the "check here before asking" sticky in the amps forum for some good reads on topics related to this.

but jeez, tell those cats to turn down. and btw. 100 watt tube amps with 4x12 cabs are for very large venues. The reasonable cats i play with use 20 watt 1x12 tube combos and get plenty loud fo almost any gig. Maybe your friends are compensating for something else. :smug:
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Agreed. No guitar player needs more than a 2x10 or 2x12 to achieve adequate stage levels, and a 1x is usually enough, especially if you want to drive the speaker hard enough to get a good tone. A 4x12 is an ego trip, pure and simple. Your dilemma is that it takes four times the speakers and power for bass than it does for guitar. Tell them to either get amps of reasonable size, turn it down, or chip in towards the dual 8x10s you need to match their levels.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    IvanMike nailed it in the first sentence!!!

I've fought that battle and have the back problems to prove it.

If I had to do it over again, I'd get enough rig to get the sound I want at a stage-friendly volume, then tell them that they can either put me through the PA or they won't hear me.

The last guitarist that I played with was a control freak...he (essentially) didn't want to hear me when we practiced but expected me to bring enough gear to basically loosen his bowels when we played out...it was weird (and expensive)...

I hope that you wear ear plugs to both protect your hearing and also hear yourself better. Might not seem logical, but it sure works/worked for me. Filtering out the guitar mud makes all the difference in the world.
  5. And if you mean a peavey 5150 head, im sure they are rated at 120watts ;)
  6. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Yeah sorry got fat finger syndrome. And thanks for the input. Just wanted to make sure that I was not going freaking crazy here. I guess they will just have to turn down some. I am even having a hard time hearing the drummer sometimes. Guess it is about time to start fighting the good fight then. :bassist:
  7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Much of the problem lies in knowing what the purpose of an amp is: so the person playing can hear himself. It's not to reach 1,000 people; that's why you have a PA. It's not so the rest of the band can hear you; that's why you have monitors. It's not to impress the equipment nerds with how big a setup you have; impress the crowd with your playing, not your gear.
  8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    This is the second thread in a couple days with this problem. Apparently, guitar players are out of control again.

I also only have enough rig for proper stage monitoring and for stand alone gigs in small to medium venues. Guitar players shouldn't even be allowed to have more than 65 watts and a 1X12 cab.
  9. Do you guys sing? How can you hear the vocals above all that? By the time you get the vocals loud enough to ear over the guitars, you'd be fighting feedback like crazy.

Stick a fork in half their speakers. They'll get a nice distored sound at a lower volume.