1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

volume :/ need help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diddii, Feb 29, 2008.

1. I just got my bass back from an local shop (changing the action of the bass...) and last night i was playing with my band and there was alot of Volume unbalance between each string.
    Strings:
    E - sounded just as usual
    A-D-G - sometimes i couldn't hear them :/ like there was alot of volume unbalance between strings :S
    What the hell is wrong? my EQ?

2. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    We'll need a little more info before you can get a solid answer. what kind of bass? what kind of pickups? Has the bass been professionally set up?

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    You may want to readjust the height of you pickups and yes I understand it should have been checked over by the guy that set it up, but these things happen sometimes.

Also jake brings up a good point, active electronics (if so there may be a "trim pot" inside the control cavity)? passive electronics (time to adjust the heights of the pickups)?

4. yes a professional set this up for me
    Its a Fender Jazz Bass '62RI with Dimarzio pickups.
    I have played it alot, but when i let a local shop "tune the action" of the bass this happent :/

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    I would start by doing some adjustments to the pickups first, see if this resolves it. Should only need a Phillips screwdriver, unless they're flatheads.

6. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Also some DiMarzios have hex screws that can adjust the height of each pole piece so that may be the best place to start instead of moving the entire pickup. then you can just adjust as much as you need to to get string balance. If the pole pieces are sticking way out of the pickup then it needs to be moved up. but usually you can get what you need with a couple of turns of the pole adjustment.

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    +1 Well yes, that is true also.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I can asume your using the same Amp/EQ? If your EQ more bass knob the e string has a tendency to get louder than the others Try flattening EQ curve.

Did you change string gauges? If you went lighter It will effect things expesially things like going from 50-105 to 40-100 were the balance changes

Did he lower the action? IE are you playing with a similar technique as before? If its lower you may be over playing you new set up and choking the tone.You'll need to turn up the volume on you amp and lighten your touch.

Aj

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    You may want to go back to the shop and play in front of your tech. Any good tech will embrace this and watch you and ask you whats not working and work with you, to a point of reason.

Set ups are very personal you need to develop a strong Idea of what works for you and be able to communicate it. Before you expect a tech that you've never met to have a clue of what you need.

If you said nothing most techs will set up med/low because the general impression of a easy playing bass is a well set up one. Truth is that a instrument set up in harmony with the technique of the player is set up well.

Aj