1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volume on a jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Fong, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Mike Fong

Mike Fong

Aug 7, 2007
    The volume knobs on my 62 MIA reissue jazz bass don't get any louder until they are almost maxed out. It's like low volume then suddenly HIGH VOLUME.

Why is that?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    My guess is that they are mis-wired. They should be nice and smooth. Are you running the stacked pot config or V/V/T

3. No that's normal, it's the type of pot they use, I forget if it's tapered or the other one, linear I think, I guess that'd be taperd though, yup tapered.

4. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Audio taper pots and linear taper pots act differently in a bass. I forget which is which, but it sounds like you've got the less desirable one. Hows that for vague? lol! Replacing the pots shouldn't be a big deal. I'm really suprised if Fender isn't using the good stuff in their MIA instruments.

Now a real response! ;)

Linear and Audio Taper.
    The taper of a pot refers to the way its resistance changes as the shaft is rotated. A linear taper pot is exactly what you would guess it to be, a graph of resistance (from one end to center) versus shaft rotation would be a straight line. If you tried to use a linear taper pot as a volume control you would be most unhappy with its performance. The sound level would go from nothing to almost full volume in about the first ten degrees of rotation and the rest would have almost no audible effect. This is because the ear responds to sound logarithmically rather than linearly. That's why sound engineers use the decibel which is a logarithmic function of power. An audio taper pot has a function which approximates a logarithmic function.

5. Mike Fong

Mike Fong

Aug 7, 2007
    Can any luthier fix it...is it only the pots.

6. I think lowend just described your situation to a tee.