1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

volume output lower on E string - p bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by andysvec, May 22, 2005.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I have a quater pounder on my custom gibson hollow body and it seems that the volume output of the E string is lower than the others. The height adjustment seems relatively even. Is this a problem with the pickup, or something in the height, or something to do with the hollowbody design? Would another pickup solve the problem (nord NP4?)
    [​IMG]

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Have you tried more than one set of strings? You might have a bad E string.

I have P quarter pounders on two of my basses and the E has more output than the other strings. With one exception; the SansAmp makes the E string sound quieter. I had to really lower the string to get the volume back, with bad results. (Search for drop d doodoo)

3. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Beautiful bass by the way :bassist:

4. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I did notice it with the roundwounds that were on it, and now that I put TI flats it's even more noticable.

I think I have another p pickup lying around somewhere, a cheap emg select. I guess I could dig it up and try installing that just to compare?

5. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    thanks!

6. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I was tired when I first posted, I didn't lower the string, I raised the pickup. Try just raising the E side of the pickup.