Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

volume output lower on E string - p bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by andysvec, May 22, 2005.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I have a quater pounder on my custom gibson hollow body and it seems that the volume output of the E string is lower than the others. The height adjustment seems relatively even. Is this a problem with the pickup, or something in the height, or something to do with the hollowbody design? Would another pickup solve the problem (nord NP4?)
    [​IMG]

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Have you tried more than one set of strings? You might have a bad E string.

I have P quarter pounders on two of my basses and the E has more output than the other strings. With one exception; the SansAmp makes the E string sound quieter. I had to really lower the string to get the volume back, with bad results. (Search for drop d doodoo)

3. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Beautiful bass by the way :bassist:

4. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I did notice it with the roundwounds that were on it, and now that I put TI flats it's even more noticable.

I think I have another p pickup lying around somewhere, a cheap emg select. I guess I could dig it up and try installing that just to compare?

5. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    thanks!

6. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I was tired when I first posted, I didn't lower the string, I raised the pickup. Try just raising the E side of the pickup.