Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume pedal as expression pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lockout, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I just bought a Boss PS-5 super shifter pedal, and I want to buy an expression pedal to use with it. But there are a few things I'm wondering before I buy one.

Firstly, is a volume pedal the same as an expression pedal? Could I use an Ernie Ball Volume pedal with the PS-5? If so, should I buy one designed for passive electronics or active? Or doesn't it really matter?

Also, if it's possible, how would I plug it in? Would I just plug the output from the volume pedal into the PS-5's expression pedal input? Or is it more complicated than that?

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Oh, I forgot to mention one thing.

If anyone has any suggestions on other pedals I could use as an expression pedal for the PS-5, feel free to let me know. :)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, I've heard of the EV-5 and EV-7, but I've read that the EV-5 is very poorly designed in terms of durability, and the EV-7 is quite a bit more than I'd like to spend for an expression pedal. Heck, $85 is pushing it IMO. :(

That's why I was looking at the Ernie Ball pedals, especially the Volume Jr. pedals. They're not too expensive, but they seem to be built well, which is why I was wondering if they could work. Sorry to dismiss your suggestions there tplyons, but I just want to find something that will last, and can take a beating. :)

Does anyone know for sure whether or not the EB volume pedals would work?

If not, are there any other pedals that could work that are relatively good quality yet affordable?

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Found my answer (partially):
    So, with that in mind, I need to find out what type of pot Boss recommends for use with the PS-5. Anyone know?

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I just rewired a Zoom volume/expression pedal for a Boss unit that specs the EV-5. It uses a 50K pot, and I had to add a 22K resistor to correct the throw. I believe the EV-5 is 25K, and it is wired opposite to every other expression pedal for my gear. The wiper of the pot goes to the tip of the TRS connector on an EV-5. It took me way too long to figure this out. Anything 10-50K will work for most EFX.

Get the EB model spec'd for active use. You can use an insert cable to patch into a volume pedal, but that will typically cost more than buying a dedicated expression pedal, unless you already own the insert cable. You can buy a TRS jack and rewire the volume pedal, that's what I would do.

----Charlie Escher

7. Can you damage your main pedal if you use the wrong-size-resistance expression pedal?

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Can you damage your main pedal if you use the wrong-size-resistance expression pedal?

Unless it's a very unusual situation, probably not. Proper design means you allow for a direct short, so any problems you see from a wrong value are going to be less than full throw, all the throw in the first 1/4 inch of pedal movement, and things like that. A lot of EFX are spec'd for a workable resistance range of 5:1 or 10:1. I'm sure there are cases where something will break though, so be careful.

9. BigDim

BigDim

Sep 28, 2009
    Wolverhampton
    Did you have any luck using the Volume/Wah pedal as an Expression pedal?

I've recently bought a SYB-5 and would like to know if I can simply plug my existing Volume or Wah pedals into the Exp. input of the Synth pedal to activate the Expression facility?

Would I plug into the input or out pot of the pedals?

10. rottenramone

rottenramone

Dec 11, 2003
    i've modded my EB VP jr pedal into an expression pedal. but the EB pots are not your standard issue. the shaft is longer to accommodate the string assembly. i had to disassemble the phenolic 250k resistor and slapped on a 100k linear pot.

works like a charm now.

next up would be modding a taper and a direction switch to it ala toneczar.

11. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    A volume/wah will not work as an expression pedal unless it has a separate expression output or has been modded to be used as an expression pedal.

12. nbtone

nbtone

May 13, 2008
    Marketing Exec. Newbasstone, Inc
    I stripped an old church organ and took out the expression pedals. I wired in a couple 1/4" jacks and mounted it on a piece of wood. It really works good for changes in volume while you are playing. You can just kick it louder or softer. Regular volume pedals are way to sensitive for my way of thinking. This expression pedal doesn't go from no sound to very loud; it just adjusts the volume within a certain limit. Very useful!

13. BigDim

BigDim

Sep 28, 2009
    Wolverhampton
    Thanks for the advice.

How about using a stereo jack? Mono 1/4 jacks from both the input and output pots of the volume pedal going into stereo splitter into the Exp. input of the SYB-5?

Essentially, a stereo jack split into two mono jacks.

14. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Wrong!:scowl:

I just stumbled on this and was going to make a thread asking if this was common knowledge and/or if anyone had tried it. If only I would have subscribed to this thread I would have read your post describing this very thing 3 years ago!

15. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I use a Boss FV-500H volume/expression pedal with a TRS/TRS cable and it works great. No dead spots or dramatic sweeps. It's all smooth and even has a low limit knob on the side to truly choose your own range.

I use it with a HOG with VERY precise control.