1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volume Pedal - making the right choice?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrokern, Sep 12, 2008.

1. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ok, after coming to a realization that a simple volume pedal will solve a problem I've been having for a couple of months (DUH), I'm going to pick one up.

It's going at the end of my pedal chain. My 5-string is an active, and I use a Sadowsky pedal pre when I pick up my Fender Jazz. Those factors lead me to believe that the "active" version of a EB will work fine (I'm not ruling out the Visual Sound one, but EB is simple and works...).

Any reason I shouldn't get the "active" version for this application? What would happen if I'd get the other version?

-Mark

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Sad pedal makes your passive bass "active", so yes the "active" EB pedal is what you want. If you use the wrong one, it will change your destiny forever. :ninja: Actually I don't know what would happen.

3. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    LOL!

But what if I WANT to change my destiny forever?

Wait, better ask the wife first. All destiny-related decisions must be run past her. :bag:

In all seriousness, that's what I'd figured. I don't want to change the amount of sound feeding my FX, I just want my sound...softer, in parts. Just wanted to check with a fresher set of brains than mine. :) Thanks!

-Mark

4. I've got both types and have used both types on active basses to compare them for Tayste....The main difference is the sweep of the volume if I remember correctly. Both work, but with the passive pedal the sweep is very limited in the lower part of the range and then is rather abrupt at the top of the range. The 25K pedal has a much smoother sweep to it.