1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volume pedal, or boost pedal?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Mr.Ace, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Bass players rule!

Sep 8, 2015
    Pompano Beach FL
    Endorsed by Fusion ( maker of killer gig bags)
    My band is playing a lot of new, rocked up country stuff. I’ve never really played out with a pedal other then a tuning pedal. I definitely need a
    Bit more volume on certain tunes, but possibly a bit more grit also. Not for sure. Definitely don’t need any heavy distortion or overdrive. Or do I? I don’t want to have to mess with my tone on the fly via my bass, or amp
    being that we play songs back to back with virtually no down time between songs. My gear is a Fodera emperor standard classic, and a Markbass Jeff Berlin combo lined out to the P.A.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Is your line out pre or post eq?

3. Mr.Ace

Sep 8, 2015
    Pompano Beach FL
    It has both

4. TheSlug

TheSlug

Feb 7, 2015
    Bergen, Norway
    Grit is overdrive in my dictionary. Boost pedals are (supposed to be) clean. If you find an overdrive pedal for bass that lets you add in as much OD/dry tone as you want, you will most likely find what you are looking for.
    Boost pedals will just give you higher volume which is possible with OD pedals as well.
    Volume pedals are rarely used to control overall volume.

Mr.Ace likes this.
  5. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Over the years I've tried a volume pedal a few times. It's probably just me, but by the end of three songs I've maxed it, and it never goes back down. I'm the volume nazi, so it isn't that I feel the need to get louder, I just sorta forget about turning back down after turning up.

Mr.Ace likes this.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    volume pedals or boost pedals would be a quick road to making the soundguy hate you. if you're fat in the mix like you should be, hitting a boost would wreck the band mix and maybe even damage speakers.

why do you need a volume boost? are you playing actual bass solos? if not then you shouldn't. if you are, then look into something that makes your tone a bit punchier and more aggressive as opposed to a total volume increase, so you jump forward in the mix without throwing off the hard-won low end balance between kick and bass. an EQ pedal with some midrange bump, that kind of thing.

Pat Harris and Mr.Ace like this.
  7. Mr.Ace

Sep 8, 2015
    Pompano Beach FL
    Interesting, I’ll look into that.