1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volume pedal or boost pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cman227, Feb 9, 2018.

1. cman227

cman227

Dec 21, 2014
    I gig out in a cover band and my bass sits well in the mix. There are two songs where I get a solo and I'm finding my bass is still in the mix when I'm soloing. I tried turning up the volume knob but I can't accurately do this and I usually don't turn it back down when my solo is over. I was thinking of getting either a boost pedal or a volume pedal. Does anyone have experience with this. Im looking for a cheap solution as I only get two solos a night and the band doesn't gig out that much.

2. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I have a Dunlop mini X volume pedal at the front of my chain that I use for volume swells, silent and always on tuning (helps for fretless) and silent bass swaps.... but it zero volume toe up and full volume toe down.

But you’re likely to have the same problem of not finding the same spot with a volume pedal... I guess you could play with it and reverse the output so it acts like an accelerator on a car, but that seems like a lot of work and could really get out of hand. I don’t know if any of the other volume pedals let you set the bottom/toe up level... neither Dunlop does that I know of.

Clean boost would be the solution I’d use in your situation.

The Thinker likes this.
  3. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    If it’s just for 2 solos I suggest a boost—maybe with a little dirt if you like. A boost will let you get just the right amount of increase instantly.

If you were sometimes needing to adjust your volume during a set, or if you wanted to do swells, then a volume pedal would be better.

4. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    A prefer to use an EQ pedal for solos rather than just a boost in volume. If you're already sitting nicely in the mix, and assuming the other musicians "make room" for your bass solo, chances are you don't really need a boost of the full sonic spectrum. A gentle boost in the mids, and a little cut in the lows does the trick really well.

The Thinker and boomertech like this.
  5. cman227

cman227

Dec 21, 2014
    OK, so if I use a external EQ or a boost pedal, do I want that in the effects loop (back of amp) or in the same signal chain with the bass? Also my Hartke amp has a built in EQ but I have that p and is always in the same position. How do you determine which effects go in the effects loop and which ones go in the same signal chain as the bass?

6. One of the best cheap solution it´s getting a TC Mini Spark. It´s what all you need having under your feet.

I tell you that it really works for me.

bassmonkeee and Slater like this.
  7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my bass has a bunch of knobs and switches on it plus active passive mode, so i'd probably just do that

8. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Almost all pedal effects were designed to go between the instrument and the amp, not in the loop. In the particular case of a boost, it helps to know that most loops are an insert point between the preamp stage of the amp, and the power stage. The main purpose of the preamp stage is to convert your signal from the level and impedance of an instrument to the level and impedance needed to drive a power amp. So if you put a pedal in between them, you need to be sure that you are not making that connection less efficient or more noisy. It can work, but it's not something you can assume will work.

tldr: Put the boost between the instrument and the amp.

9. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    I agree with the EQ suggestion above. Many EQ pedals will have a level control to adjust the overall volume and if you give yourself a little bump to the 120Hz and 800Hz sliders you may stand out more in your solos. This is a really cheap EQ to try out ($25):

BEQ700-large.jpg
    -Frank

theunknowndude likes this.
  10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I’d suggest a boost pedal as well. Plenty of nices ones to check, from clean to not so clean.

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I second the Mini Spark. Small, simple and it adds just the right amount of magic.

SGT. BAKER likes this.
  12. I'm a fan of the EQ camp. With an EQ pedal you can boost, with most boost pedals you can't EQ.

The 4 Best Cheap EQ Pedals – Reviews 2018

Ebay Dano Fish&Chips

Mooer Graphic B
    Frequency Centers: 62.5Hz, 125Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 4kHz
    Then there's all the clones from various Stencil Brands:
    Tom's Line Engineering AEB-3 Bass EQ - Analog 5-Band Equalizer
    AROMA AEB-3 Bass EQ Analog 5-Band Equalizer Electric Guitar Effect Pedal X9J3 | eBay
    etc​

EQ-V_Hotone

A little bigger, a little more money, but much higher quality:

Southampton: All Things Equal
    Boost: Simple, easy setup.​

Broughton Audio: Parametric EQ
    Superb tone-shaping capabilities.​

Best Option is if you can EQ & Boost.

Not cheap, not small, but Empressive: Empress ParaEQ
    Use Boost & EQ together or independently (dipswitches inside to configure how you want to use it).

You may find many more uses for EQ than just a couple of solos.

13. Never needed one but I’d go the eq with volume boost route if I had to...