Volume pedal quest

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JTGale, Oct 28, 2004.

1. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    OK, I finally pitched my no-name volume pedal and am now looking for a new one. Anyone have any thoughts? Ernie Ball or Morley or ... ? All of my basses are active and I see that EB makes for actives. Is this really beneficial? Does using a 250 pot pull back your sound too much? I know that all of my basses use 500 volume pots so does a 250 dufus the sound? All thoughts are appreciated.
  2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I just bought a Morley Power Wah Boost- it is a wah, a volume/expression pedal and a boost. With my EMG's, it sounds great. Very expressive.

The downside- it has been discontinued for over 20 years.

3. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have a Ernie Ball Volume pedal and a Morley Steve Vai Little
    Alligator Volume pedal. I had to buy the Morley a couple years ago, cause the pot in the Ernie Ball got scratchy, and when
    I called the factory it was going to cost as much as a new one
    once you factor in the freight charges.I really liked it cause it
    did NOT take batteries, so it was one less thing to worry about.
    I still use it at home. I really like the Morley cause it has a min/max setting with works out well for me, and when I want
    total mute I switch channels on my Boss LS-2 and it goes to the tuner.I use the AC adapter with it cause I have to run
    power to my Boss effect pedal board anyway.
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I like my EB, as you can change the swell rate, and there's no battery. It works VERY well too, on passive and active basses alike. I'd buy another one if I had to for whatever reason

5. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I've got an old Morley (VMA, I think.) that does pretty well. I do think it rolls some of the top end off though. Visual Sound will be re-releasing their Visual Volume pedal around December. Pricing will be in the same range as the EB.

I just found a cool store in Puget Sound called The Trading Musician. They have a wall full of used pedals. Seem to be decent people. (www.tradingmusician.com) It looks to be a good place to get vintage stuff.
  6. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Thanks to all for your replies. More are welcome to respond as I will not make up my mind for a few days. I currently am leaning toward the EB since it doesn't need a battery and has a separate line out for a tuner when the volume is all the way down. All thoughts are appreciated!
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I use the Ernie Ball VP JR (25K model). My gigging basses are all active.
  8. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002

I'll be selling mine, though. My preamp has a muting footswitch, and I don't have much of a use for a volume pedal other than that.
  9. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    David, that is the model of EB I was looking at. Do you like it? Is it smooth? And I am sure that it is built like a tank, right?
  10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, I like it. It's the smaller version of the EB pedal, but still well built and I've had no issues with it.
  11. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Excellent! Thanks ...
  12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's the best volume that I've ever tried. I'll get another one for sure. Do you know where you'll be able to get them?
  13. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Musician's Friend has an EB VP Jr. at 25k listed on their Web site for $69.99. Looks like they still have them in stock, too. They also have a Jr. with a 250k pot aimed at passive instruments for the same price.
  14. bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    this is so exciting! i can hardly wait!
  15. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Check around at your local high end guitar shops around the first of the year.
  16. I use a EB Volume Pedal JR. . I have had it for about 9 months now and used it on 4 international tours. It has stood up really really well, and gets much abuse.

I have had to fix the pot once, but it was really minor stuff, not anything to write home about. I play active basses and use it on almost every song, and I would buy another in a second.