Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume pedal question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by brock29609, Feb 13, 2004.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    How do they work, and what are they used for??

I've never used one in person and there are no decent music stores in my town that cary them in stock. I want something to seemlessly boost my sound when my guitar player gets too loud and covers up some of my cool parts. I need something that I can step on to give me a quick clean boost only during certain parts of a song. Any recommendations?

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Then you dont need a volume pedal. They are only passive resitors, think 'Volume' control on a passive bass. Full on volume will be the same as the level that you put in.

Perhaps you could try a simple pre-amp? I think DOD make one, a yellow overdrive or something.

HTH

3. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Anything that will boost my signal without adding an effect would work. An compressor, E.Q. or preamp stomp box with a gain knob would do the trick. Anything that could be turned off and on by foot. Don't want to spend a ton of money since it won't get used all that much, but I'm open to any specific suggestions.

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The DOD-250 Yellow Overdirve (found it, got its real name) is just a stomp-box signal boost, with optional distortion. And its dirt cheap. Heres an English link: Here

5. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Good advise. Thanks! Two just happened to be ending on ebay just as I read your post. Got one for $31.

[​IMG]

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Great! Of course as a token of your gratitude, you could give me it, they are very nice pedals . . . . . .

Just joking, enjoy it, I do.