1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Volume Pedal Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by twangchief, Aug 3, 2012.

1. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I've never owned one. Therefore I know nothing about them.

I own Electric basses (active and passive) and Acoustic (Piezo) instruments. I was going to order an Ernie Ball volume pedal and started to notice the different models. 25k, 250k & 500k.

I'm confused. Is there one that would work with all my basses?

Thanks.

2. sunbeast

sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    It depends where in your chain you plan to run it- if you are running after effects and will usually have one of the effects engaged when using a passive bass, then 25k is ideal as the effect in most cases will act as a buffer essentially making your signal "active". Even pedals with buffered bypass (vs true bypass) will feed the volume pedal a low impedance "active" signal. If you are running it at the beginning of the chain or don't use much in the way of effects, then 500k or 250k are ideal for use with both active and passive. If you only played active basses the 25k would be the ideal, but for use with both the larger values are better. Using a 25k at the front of the line with a passive bass will cut alot of high end and just be funky and touchy in general. The larger values will work as designed with a passive bass and perhaps just exhibit a less ideal sweep with an active bass. These days I pretty much always play with some sort of outboard preamp or overdrive engaged at all times first in my chain, so I use a low impedance volume pedal (I think mine is 50k?) for active or passive basses and just make sure it is after the preamp. If I didn't use a pre constantly I would get a 250/500k since all my basses are passive...

3. godblender

godblender Banned

Mar 11, 2009
    Michigan
    For what it's worth I use the 250k (passive) version...it's near the end of my chain with about 7-8 other pedals before it. Even with multiple pedals engaged I have no perceived loss of tone or unevenness with the swells I generally use it for.