1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Volume Pedal/Slow Gear/Delay Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stambroker, Aug 23, 2012.

1. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Hey guys,

I'm going to be getting two new pedals in the coming days: a Guyatone Slow Volume and a Way Huge Aqua Puss (analog delay). Previously, I've used the following chain:

Bass -> EHX Tube EQ -> Boss LS-2 -> Amp
    LS-2 Loop: Guyatone TZ-2 Fuzz -> Morley Volume Pedal -> Boss DD-6 Delay

I've used it to cop a synthy/pseudo strings sound and I think it sounded pretty good if a bit of a ghetto solution to what I wanted to do. The manual volume swells sounded great and I like the control, but it was a little too involved, and distracted from my playing if I ever wanted to use it in an actual song.

My solution will be the following:

Bass -> EHX Tube EQ -> Boss LS-2 -> * -> Amp
    LS-2 Loop: Guyatone TZ-2 Fuzz -> Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume -> *

Now, the trick here is the additional volume. I can see it happening a few ways. I could use the Way Huge Aqua Puss in the same way as before, to carry the signal from the effect loop parallel to my clean signal, with little to no blend. I could also use the delay after the loop with a bit of blend so I could delay the entire signal. Finally, I could have the delay in a seperate chain in the "B" channel of the Boss LS-2, which I usually keep empty to have a clean tone, and use the Way Huge's blend function.

What do you think is the best solution for a versatile soundscape? Has anyone here incorporated the Slow Gear/Volume swell effect into their rig? Am I missing any cool effects to make this any more over the top? I'm probably going to be hunting for the (EHX) Holy Grail soon to place before the delay just for some extra craziness.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post!

2. stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Anyone?

ChristoMephisto likes this.
  3. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I do , use it for violin, cello sound, very digital sounding though coz I am using zoom b3 for those effect. I want to show you my link but too embarresed about my stupid solo I did :p

4. MattS

MattS

Jan 17, 2011
    Cheshire, CT
    Below you will see my current pedalboard setup, some of which I made myself. I don't know much about using the Boss LS-2, but I found your inquiry interesting and thought I'd share my experience with volume swelling as I use it in my playing/rig from time to time.

[​IMG]

that aurora-borealis pedal on the bottom right corner, that's a BYOC Lazy Sprocket pedal (boss slow gear clone pedal kit that I hand-painted and built), but I found a circuit mod that sorta maintained volume better and a bit longer swell. I put it right after my tuner, beginning of chain basically, so that the swells will always be consistent with any other pedal as it kinda works like a compressor in reverse or with really slow attack if that makes sense. Right after that is a GGG Orange Squeezer compressor pedal (orange ren & stimpy pedal i built), I don't use compression really, but I use this pedal more like a boost and is useful with two hand tap stuff, but if I need or want more volume or more extreme swells having that after the swell pedal does nice.

Towards the end of my pedal chain is BYOC reverb pedal (deep sea verb pedal I built) > Boss PS-3 Pitchshifter/Delay> Boss DD-7 Digital Delay > Digitech Jamman looper/sampler > amp. Any combination of those 3 effects (reverb/delay/pitchshift delay gets weeeeird) after the Lazy Sprocket (slow gear clone volume swells) works very well. It sounds more atmospheric and pretty, almost fretless-sounding; I enjoy it. BUT a couple issues with all that is a) 2-4 pedals on at once can be difficult to turn off quickly. b) I was told that a looper pedal could be useful in turning on/off several pedals at once, but because I keep the delays n stuff at the opposite end of my volume swell pedal, using a loop pedal might be difficult or I don't have the room for it on my board and c) I haven't really used my Lazy Sprocket swells in any songwriting yet, it's more for fun or in between song soundscapes at this point.

For example, if you'd like to hear a little of what that combination sounds like (this was before I got my Lazy Sprocket pedal, I use my volume knob on my bass to do this, the pedal can't really stretch it out as long). If you check out my band Burrows our song "Lie in the Current" last track off our EP the beginning of that song is those three pedals on all at once with swells done by my volume knob.
    I hope you find this helpful and/or interesting. I'm curious about that guyatone pedal. rock n roll. thank you for reading.

- Matt

5. stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    This actually helps quite a bit, thanks so much for taking the time! I'll be sure to check out your tunes in a bit.

First off, let me just say that your BYOC pedals, especially the borealis, looks absolutely beautiful. I've looked into the BYOC website a bit and I really would like to start building my own pedals, was the Sprocket difficult to build? I'd start with something more simple, of course, but the prospect of getting hands on is pretty interesting. I'm too nooby and inexperienced with the actual art but I've built computers/etc., how difficult is it to learn how to work with kits?

I actually think that the Boss LS-2 or a seperate line selector pedal would be really useful for you if you wanted a quick and painless way to bypass certain effects. You could place the delays in one channel and have to only stomp once in order to enable those four effects.

I suppose my dilemna is whether or not I want a delay within the blended-in channel (Guyatone Fuzz -> Guyatone Slow -> Delay) and have that swirly mess compliment my clean signal, or use the blend function on the Way Huge Aqua Puss itself seperate from my LS-2 concoction. I could have it in the "B" channel and hypothetically have three mixes: a clean one with only the EHX Tube EQ affecting it, the Aqua Puss's delay effect, and the Fuzz/Slow.

Thanks again!

6. MattS

MattS

Jan 17, 2011
    Cheshire, CT
    Thank you for the compliment on the pedals. The Lazy Sprocket was not a really difficult build. It all depends on the parts count and how many pots. I put mine in larger enclosure because I wanted the bigger canvas. I also put an ultraviolet LED, I attached a closer look and one of all pedals on. I'm a graphic designer for day job (it's effin friday) which is how and why I sorta specialize in the art aspect of it, otherwise i just pay extremely high attention to detail and can follow directions, I can't read schematics and wiring is confusing because there are many ways to achieve the same result basically. I recommend getting into it. checkout www.buildyourownclone.com or www.generalguitargadgets.com or http://www.musikding.de/ , they all got really cool kits and great forums of helpful people. I recommend maybe checking out how to build a Bazz Fuss, it's a very small amount of parts and it sounds great on bass. I'm actually experimenting with the Bazz Fuss circuit on my workbench now, but for the life of me can't figure out the wiring on this one and so far those i ask in the community speak a different language than I do haha, but i'm sure i'll get it eventually. I've built about a dozen or more pedals, all great fun learning experiences. Don't hesitate to PM if you have any more questions on that stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am/was kinda considering the line selector/loop situation, but I don't really want to add anything more to my board or take anything off. plus i'm not doing those swells enough so it's not really worth it.... but maybe I'll get bored enough some day and decide to build it haha.

I that green pedal on there is a fuzzrite clone or something but I swapped some caps to make it better for bass. It's alright, I'm hoping to build that Bazz Fuss pedal with a blend circuit to replace that pedal eventually some day. But I noticed that when I had the fuzz before the lazy sprocket, the fuzz made the swell react quicker, which i definitely didn't want.

great stuff dude. keep us posted on how it turns out.