1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Volume Pedal Tone-Suck

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by betardfoosier, Jan 18, 2012.

1. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    I want to introduce a volume pedal into my pedalboard for ambient organ-like swells, but fear the oft-complained about tone suck. I read the putting one after a buffered pedal fixes this, would putting a standard ernie ball volume pedal after my tu-2 fix this? The boss tuners are buffered, aren't they? I'm playing a passive J, and I can't afford to give up any tone.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    An Ernie ball pedal is not an active circuit and will not correct any line issues, nor can it boost the signal any louder for ya. There should be no tone suck at all either.

3. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    I understand the volume pedal is passive, I'm asking if t he buffered tuner pedal before it will help with any signal drop from the volume pedal. I've heard mixed things on whether volume pedals suck tone. Thanks!

4. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    Do you already have the EB? If not, seriously consider the Visual Volume pedal from Visual Sound. It can be active or passive and has many other options at its disposal.

VS Endorsing Artist

5. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    I don't have it, I just have the opportunity to have one for very cheap.

6. The Boss tuner is not buffered. It's simply got a FET switch instead of a mechanical one. Does the volume pedal have a on/off switch which is activated by pressing the pedal all the way, like a crybaby? If so you'll be taking it out of the circuit when it's switched off- no chance of tone suck. If not, the effect will probably be minimal(very slight loss of highs) which you could probably offset by increasing the vol and/or tone knobs on your bass(unless you already run them at max).

7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Go with the cheap solution and a Ernie Ball passive volume pedal shouldn't change the tone. I use mine right after my planet wave tuner to send the signal to my pedal chain and I do not loose any tone quality.

Cheap Endorsing Artist

8. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    I just sent my EB VP Jr. in to Dan at This1smyne for his tone suck mod, since I use the tuner out from the volume pedal and I notice a difference in output when the tuner is connected.

9. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

Feb 13, 2011
    What could you mod on a vp to reduce suck? The EB pedals do not have a bypass I don't think. However, I COULD build a bypass box for the volume pedal, that would work!

10. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY