Volume pedal w/DB?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bassteban, Nov 7, 2005.

1. I searched & came up dry- does anyone here use a volume pedal w/an upright? My 3/4 has a Radio Shack piezo into a K&K Pure pre into a CXC-110. This sounds nice, but I think it actually sounds better WITHOUT the preamp(!) I'd just bypass it, but I want to have some sort of volume control handy- I'm playing in church, where we are plagued w/sound problems(feedback, etc.).
  2. I have one but never really use it. I'm thinkin about getting it out just because of the volume change from pizz to arco. Rufus Reid uses one when he plays and he says he really loves it just for the volume controll reasons. Always worth a shot. Some are really expensive though and you can get just as good ones for a lot cheaper so look around before you buy one.
  3. What's your setup(bass, pickup, preamp/amp), & what kind of pedal do you have? I'm pretty sure I'd like one, I'm just wondering if there's a specific model that will work well w/the piezo.
  4. I'll will actually have to DIG it out lol so I can't really say the name. I'm using a David Gage Realist but it really doesn't matter what your using and it doesn't have anything to do with being piezo. All that happends is that I plug my bass into the pedal and then the pedal to the amp and then your in business. It doesn't play with your sound and isn't messing with the piezo it just controlls the volume. Just a volume nob with your foot.
  5. I guess I'm just wondering if there would be any noticeable difference between pedals meant for passive vs active instruments(I've read threads on this debate in BG use; there seems to be little or no consensus :rolleyes: )- I would imagine the 'active-oriented' one as piezos reputedly put out a hot signal. Again, thanks for the info, & I'm still interested to know exactly what pedal you have.
  6. I really don't think that there is any difference between using a pedal with passive or active or piezo. The way I understood it was that all it does it make you louder or softer, thats all. Just like the volume nob on your bass guitar doesn't change your sound neither will the pedal. As soon as I dig the ol' beast out I'll let you know what it is. I wanna say its an Ernie Ball but I don't think so, they make good pedals though.
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    IIRC, passive ones just cut the volume -- active ones can boost it as well. Also, there IS a change of tone -- many bassists refuse to use volume pedals because there is a noticeable loss of highs with many volume pedals.
  8. Yeah- so, Duck(may I call you Duck?), I don't mean to dispute you & I believe I understand what you're saying; it's just that there's differing opinions on volume pedals for active vs passive basses, & this is all the info I can find regarding DB application. If yours works fine, it's likely the one for me. I have heard good things about the Ernie Ball- in particular that it works well w/active & passive basses(which would be good for me, I think- I'd love it to work well w/all my basses).
    Aaron S, when I say 'active' pedal, I mean one that is equipped w/a potentiometer specifically chosen to match an active(as opposed to passive)bass' output. I know of boost pedals that can increase volume; that's not what I'm after.
    I hope I don't sound all beyotchy & picky here, guys; I very much appreciate your input, & hope it's beneficial for someone else as well. :)
  9. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    One would normally assume that an "active" pedal has a buffered input- i.e., some sort of active circuit between the input and the volume pot. Running a piezo directly into a pot usually results in an impedance mismatch.
  10. Mismatch, you say. This is what I believe I want to steer clear of. But again, I don't think I want an 'active' pedal; rather perhaps one intended for use w/a bass or other instrument equipped w/an active preamp. So to clarify, 'active pedal' was the wrong choice of words for my question- I should have said, 'volume pedal intended for use w/active preamp-equipped instruments'. It just doesn't flow as well, poetically...
  11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Is that either very old or very new info? I've only seen Rufus a couple of times live (last time was about 4 years ago) and neither time was he using a volume pedal.

Since I try to do as many gigs without an amp as possible, I tend to use those things attached to the side of my upper torso to help regulate dynamics....
  12. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Beer, Ed?
  13. I love to play w/o an amp but I & my drummer(love the guy)also like to hear myself. In my present gig, those two will never meet. I also have those upper torso things, but feedback & other sound issues make amp volume control a must for me. The stage logistics make it difficult to reach the amp quickly, so a pedal seems like a potential winner.
  14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It'll have to wait awhile; while visiting my buddy Matt we were ploughing through at least 3 bottles of wine a night. I'm still drying out. How's work with Andy going?