volume pedal: Your choice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steak'n'roll, Jan 5, 2006.

1. I'm looking for a volume pedal and I'd like to know your opinion. I don't need it to be stereo, I'd like to have a tuner output but it is not an obligation. Boss? Ernie Ball? Crap brand?
    Tell me
  2. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    If you're like me, you'll use it (literally) for 10 minutes and say "boy, this was stupid"; then learn to reach-down to your volume control without looking (another 10 minutes).

Having said that, here's some things to look for:
    * Low vs. high impedance (passive & active basses have different requirements)
    * Mechanism: a) pots (which wear-out), b) optical.
    * If pot mechanism a) string, like Ernie Ball or b) direct linkage (like Boss)
  3. I use a EB 6166 Mono Volume Pedal. Works like a charm. I've been using it for two years now, and it will never leave my pedalboard. It's sturdy as a rock and will (most-likely) never fail. It's got a parallel tuner-out as well.

There's things you can't do with the volume-control on the bass, you know!
  4. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I got a Dunlop HighGain, which doesn't have a tuner out (I can use my Dime CryBaby for that!). Built like a tank, meant for passive basses.

I acctually got mine for the Cello/Upright w/ Bow sound. You strike a note with the pedal back then rock it fwd for whatever note duration you want. Time rocking the pedal fwd so that the attack is lost. Sounds dark and moody :cool: Unfortunatly my bass doesn't quite have the sustain that I need for that :( . So for now it's now on my guitar board.

BTW if you get it for that effect, put a reverb after the volume. Tried that out the other day and it works better. Also try to get a little treble in you signal before the volume/verb.
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So what kind of Ernie Ball volume pedal would I want if my bass is active?
  6. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Has anyone tried a visual volume: http://www.visualsound.net/Pedal_vv.htm

They look cool and can do active + passive with a switch, mono and stereo and have a tuner out. I'm thinking of picking one up for my concert band / orchestra performances where the volume expected of me varies greatley depending on the number of brass players in the arrangement at that particular moment :D.
  7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    A volume pedal with a 25k potentiometer would be more linear with an active bass because of the lower output impedance of the preamp. If you look at Ernie Ball products you see them listed as 250k and 25k models. They also have a "curve" switch that can make the 250k play nicer with active basses. The upshot is that using a 250k vol pedal with an active bass can give you just a small range where all of the volume control happens instead of it being progressive over the full travel of the pedal.

As to the thread, I like the EB pedals because they are built the best and sound great (they don't sound like anything). I also have the Roland FV which is nice and light, stereo option, and 25k. Also, 25k pedals can double as expression pedals with synths and other devices.
  8. PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Hmm looks interesting (and anything with Blue LED's is cool in my book :cool: )

Says 'coming soon' - I wonder what sort of money it will be?

I've been looking for a 'volume switch' - I don't need a lot of volume variation and swell control, but I could do with 4 or 5 levels of volume (that I could switch between on a pedal) - soft, medium, loud and 'really loud' - or somethig similar.

I've used an old Multi FX (Zoom) pedal in the past with clean patches just set to various output levels, but my Zoom is very nosiy, and I don't want to buy an expensive MultiFX to not use any effects.

Has anyone come across anything like this?
  9. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    You can get a boost pedal, but those I have seen only have one switch. The Fulltone FullDrive distortion pedal has two footswitches and two volume knobs. You could have clean (off off), overdrive (on off) and distortion (on on) with increasing levels of volume. And then you could put a boost pedal after or before. Add a pedal for our amp and you could get several footswitchable levels for your volume.

You could get a floor mounted digital effects unit that has multi foot switches for different patches and change the volume on each patch so you press your foot to a series of foot switches on the multi effects unit for different volume (and I would think you would want different levels of gain).

Another thing. If you have a distortion pedal, the volume knob on the bass effects the input into the pedal thus effects the amount of gain, then your volume pedal that is after your distortion pedal effects the overal volume level.

And I know that some people can sound like a cello by using their pinky on the volume knob, but I need my foot.
  10. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I agree. It would be sweet to do some swells and stuff like John Petrucci does on guitar in the song "New Millenium" live at the Budokan. :hyper:
  11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I have one of the original Visual Volumes and would't part with it for any price.

I bought an Ernie Ball and didn't care for the non-linear volume adjustment. I bought the VV 2 weeks later and put the Ernie Ball back in the box where it's been for a couple of years now.

I don't know how the new VVs will be, but I sure love the old one.
  12. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If you don't mind me asking, how much does a VV go for new? I'm kinda interested in one.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    On the Ernie Balls pedals, is the 25K & 250K different in sound? Does the 25K dampen any of the high Hz? I've heard different tales. I have a Volume/Pan version with I believe 250K or 500K ??? pots that sounds great but with an active bass, the volume comes in & full on much too fast, plus there's no adjustment for the sweep on this model. I'm leaning towards a jr. but would like some real user opinions on the pots vs. active uses...

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's what sold me on the Ernie Ball. One night, we were playing a gig, and the guitar solo came up. As I looked over at the lead guitarist, he had both feet up on the volume pedal like he was hanging ten on a surfboard. The sight of that really cracked me up ... it was like he was trying to squeeze every last drop of volume out of that pedal. They are gnarly durable.
  15. I have Ernie ball Jr 250k and I love it.