1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volume Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OxJohnson, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Can ya'll please recommend a good volume pedal for me? I am not asking about the BEST volume pedal in the world, just something that is built solid and won't introduce a lot of noise.

I was looking at an Ernie Ball, and it seems decent but is there one better (for the price)?

Thanks in advance,
    Ox.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    As long as you're not using the tuner out jack, the EB pedals are a great solid value.

3. I've got three of the EB VP Jrs and can't think of a better volume pedal for the price.

4. what is wrong with the tuner out jack?? I use mine on my EB and it seems just fine...

5. What is wrong with the tuner out? I probably would not use it as all of my heads have one already, but you have stoked my curiosity.

Rustynuts, that is a great quote in your sig. I used to be a knob twiddler and I am the local gearhead in the band, but nowadays I try to keep the knobs to a minimum as I get tend to tweak too much and not play/practice enough. Bright shiny objects are my bane. :bag:

Ill admit it... I am a recovering pedal-aholic. I know bongo IS one... so please don't make me start again. :help:

Ox.

6. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I have this one, was recommended by a friend who works for GC.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-FV500H-Mono-Volume-Pedal?sku=151042

I went in to buy the Ernie Ball but he told me the linkage between the pedal and the pot inside was a single strand of thin wire and most of the ones he sold came back needing repair within a year.

I can't vouch for that, just repeating what he told me.

He steered me to the Boss (which he couldn't even sell me because he didn't have it) as being much more rugged.

It certainly is that. It's big and heavy and feels like you could drive your car over it with no ill effects. I've been using mine for a couple of years with no issues at all.

It's also very clean and quiet, I can't detect any signal loss at all with this one.

7. I will have to look into that one. Thanks for the info and heads up! Having played with the internals of pedals a long while back, I know that wah-type pedals can be a bit finicky when it comes to durability, hence my original question. Would you happen to know the type of linkage that this one has?

Thanks,
    Ox.

8. as for the EBs the 'thin wire' is kevlar, and you can buy refurb kits from ernie ball if it goes out. if you look at professional boards 9 out of 10 use EB. Works for me.

Also i have heard great things about the BOSS FV-500

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The EB I had used not a "thin wire", but a sturdy cord. Maybe they've changed that lately?

The business with the tuner out is that some people experience tone loss due to loading from the tuner circuit; but that would mostly affect users of passive basses, and then only some tuners would have an audible loading effect.

Whether it's audible will depend on your bass, amp, and ears. ;)

10. I bought an EB Volume Jr. just because of the tuner out. It seems to fix the "tone-suck" from my Boss TU-2. My $.02.

11. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA

I just opened up my pedalboard case and looked at mine (it's a Boss FV-500H). The linkage is a flat metal bar, about an inch wide...looks bulletproof! :)

12. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    i have a Boss FV-300L, which i use as the first pedal in my chain (with a tuner out AND a volume limiter.. so you can't turn down past a certain point... which works wonders for me when using an Ebow.)

then on the other end of the circuit... i have the EB-JR volume pedal.
    which i also like... just sometimes it seems a BIT too touchy.

BOTH pedals are sturdy and i don't think i'd buy another except for either of those options (the boss is an older model and a bit sturdier, i feel, than newer models)

[spunj13]