1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Volume pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fjadams, Mar 19, 2013.

1. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I need a new volume pedal. Currently have a Ernie Ball VPJr. Total piece of crap.

Want a new one but really have no idea of the quality out there. Don't care if it's passive or not. Battery/AC power is fine.

Any help from people who use one will be greatly appreciated.

2. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    define total piece of crap?

3. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Not a smooth transition from low to high volume. Seems to have spots where there isn't any sound at all. Just feels cheap. Places in the sweep where there is static.

I bought it new, and just haven't used it much at all. Owned it a couple months.

Want something that actually works, but really know nothing about the quality of what is available. I suppose I could just go off the reviews from GC and Amazon, but I find a lot of the reviews on those type of places to be questionable. Trust here to be more forthcoming, and not work for the companies they are giving reviews about.

4. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    I personally like the form factor of the EB VP's (JR or reg). So... if I were you I'd just get someone to mod it so that it has a buffer in it and fix the taper (sweep) to something that suits your taste.

I've never had the same issues with mine so I have a stock unit, but have considered doing this myself. ToneCzar does the mods, so does T1M (This1'sMyne). I'd contact Jeff Moote (here on TB) to see if he'd do it. He did an excellent job on my VP Jr that was mod'd as an expression pedal.

As far as the static/signal drop-outs, you can easily fix that with some cotnact spray. You just spray the pot a few times and it cleans right up. Multiple applications may be ncessary if it's really bad. That is typical of most VP's with an exposed pot (which happens in the heel down position).

Can't speak to the other brands but I'm sure someone will have some good insight in that regard. Good luck, man!

5. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Thank you.

I never heard of people modding pedals, but since we mod everything else we get our hands on why wouldn't we. I'll take this into consideration.

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I've also never been 100% satisfied with my VP-Jr. In the toe-up position, it always crackles so badly, and the sound cuts out.

7. Always loved my EB volume pedals. Check to see whether you have the line level or guitar level version, and find out which one you should be using. If it's VERY old, the pots sometimes go. Order a new one. After over thirty years of playing, I've yet to find a better, or smoother volume pedal.

8. eddiebo

eddiebo Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Montclair, NJ
  9. Check the little taper switch inside the Ernie as well.

10. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    I've been very happy with my Morley PVO+. I actually have used the minimum volume setting, and it works well and quietly.

They now make a mini model (MMV), and had it been available when I was shopping, I would have tried that one.

Prior to that, I had their Stereo Volume pedal. I bought it used and it ran well for about 15 years. One day it just gave up the ghost. Certainly got my moneys worth.

11. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Thanks for every body's help.

My local store had a Boss FV-500H and I picked it up today. Works perfect. Might send the EB in for modding anyway. One can never have too many gadgets that aren't really needed.

12. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    In most of the negative reports I read above, it just sounds like a dirty or worn out pot...

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I'll get some contact cleaner in hopes that the solution will fix my problem!