Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

volume pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nataku, Nov 13, 2005.

1. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Does anyone know of any volume pedals or chromatic pedal tuners that don't alter the tone of your bass? I don't think the right words for it are true bypass, since a volume pedal would always be on, but its the same kind of concept. Also, are there any bass specific volume or tuner pedals, because all the ones i see on musiciansfriend.com say guitar in the description, or does this even matter? Price isn't really an issue as long as it isn't too extravagant. The search function isnt turning up much of anything, and none of the guitar shops near me have any non-stompbox pedals.

Thanks in advance.

2. I haven't mastered 'the link'- but I just searched for threads containing the words 'volume pedal' in the title, in effects, & got 2 pages of threads. If I can, you can. ;)

3. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Whoa there, didn't realize you could search titles only. I just used a general search, and that turned up nothing. Anyways, even with the refined search, i'm still not finding much info on whether they alter tone much or not. The most popular brand seems to be the EB or EB JR, but people also seem to agree on their unreliability. I hate to be too critical about this, but i dont want to drop $80+ on a pedal i'm going to hate.

4. I have read several threads on volue pedals- started one on using one w/DB- & I get the same thing:Lots of opinions, lots of arguing, no consensus. I'm pretty much after the same thing(as you). If I find one that works, I'll let you know. ;)

5. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Right back at you. Thanks for the help.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    In theory, besides reliability, the EB should be the best for what you're looking for. Essentially, it's nothing but a volume knob. Just a pot wired into a pedal, no digital circuitry or nothing. The Dunlop High Gain volume pedal should do this as well, as it too is passive. Dunlop's are generally very reliable, but I've heard little about the volume pedal. Same, passive concept though.

If you go digital like a Morley or Visual Sound, there's chance for tone loss, however, nothing I've noticed from my old Morley volume pedal.

Hope this helps a bit.

7. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    thanks tp, that helps a lot. since i can't try any of them, i'll trust other peoples reviews and order one of the EB ones around christmas time. now if only i could find a decent tuner...