Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume/Phaser/Delay

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sean S, May 13, 2005.

1. Hello!

After playing with my BP80 (that I never really wanted in the first place), I discovered that I like a volume pedal->phaser->delay

Now I want individual pedals...

Any suggestions? (inc. brand, retail price, any problems/quirks/uniquities)

thanks

Sean

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I use an Ernie Ball volume pedal. its big, beefy, and works like a charm without having to be plugged in. i believe it retails for around $80-$90. i highly recommend it. other volume pedals have to be plugged in because they are optical designs i believe but are more adjustable. personal preference.

3. flange

flange

Feb 22, 2005
    Cochrane Alberta
    I use a morley it is an optical design and does need to be plugged in. The advantage to an optical design is it is dead quiet that is no pots to go scratchy. If you opt for a passive pedal you'll want to check on the values of the pots. A least one manufacturer offers pedals with different pots for active or passive basses.

4. thanks...
    anything on the other 2?

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    For delay, I have an old Boss DD-3 digital delay pedal that I've had since '94 or so. Keeps on tickin'. My phaser is an Electro-Harmonix USA Small Stone. I really dig it, it sounds organic and "natural".

I think the DD-3 goes new online for about $110 and the Small Stone about $85 new online, just for reference.

6. PureRockRoll

PureRockRoll

Apr 24, 2005
    if you want a whole variety of delay, go for the Line 6 dl4. If you are going for a basic digital delay, i really like the digitech, it's about $100 and it has many more options than the DD-3 (which i believe is a $130 on musciansfriend). if you want an analog delay...i'm still working on that one for myself.

7. any volume pedals that will work fine with any bass?
    and sorry if this causes any confusion, but I think the chain will be:
    Volume-->Delay-->Phaser

is there any input gain on the DL4? Or do I have to set the max. output of the volume pedal?

8. I used to own the digitech XDD for delay, and it worked great...sold it when i decided i didnt use it enough to want to keep it

for phaser, i use an old Roland AP-2, its super dark, great low and mid tone, and very versatile...the only downfall is it drops the volume a bit, but i solved that by putting it in one of the loops on my 3 loooper with an EHX Hogs Foot clone after it..it really brings everything back that the phaser takes away...i would have gone to great lengths to make the phaser work for me, but an mxr micro amp or any clean boost suitable for bass would do for it...if u put boost before it tho, it tends to distort, and not pleasantly

i've used an mxr phase 90, and its a good first phaser, but it wasnt the best...the ehx small stone is very nice as well...i had a slightly older model and the color switch really made the tone stand out...i personally prefer the roland to the ehx, but, seeing as the rolands r a bit hard to find, u might wanna go grab an ehx

9. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    For a phaser, I'd reccomend the EHX Small Stone. I've had one for quite a while, and it sounds great. The colour switch really sharpens the tone, so the swooshing is more defined. I found that it has more usable tones than the MXR does. True bypass, inexpensive, built well. The only problem with it is the crappy battery door, but the sound this pedal makes more than makes up for the faulty door. Enjoy!

Graeme

10. i'm quite happy with my mxr phase 90 phaser. one knob you can't really go wrong with it.