Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume Pot Went Bad For No Reason ????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Mar 29, 2004.

1. I have an Ibanez 5 stringer SR405. When I took it out of the case to tune up for the church gig this Sunday the volume pot was dead. Only a slight scratching noise when turning. Last time the bass was out of the case was at rehearsal this past Tuesday , all was fine when I put it away. Took it home ... it sat in it's case until I took it out this Sunday. It's not the battery, I had a new one in it, and changed it out to check to see if it had drained down. Can a pot just go bad overnight? This bass is clean and is well taken care of. No coffee or soda has been spilled around it. JUst rying to get some education on this issue before calling the guitar tech this morning. Thanks.

2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    maybe it's not the pot... I've had the jacks go bad instantly on the Ibanez guitars. Let us know what your tech says, I'm curious now.

3. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I've had an Ibanez SR400's jack go bad.

I've also had an Ibanez guitar's jack go bad.

4. Well, turned out to be a dirty pot and a 2 dead batteries out of an unopened pack that had a "USE BY" date of 2005. I had them laying around the house for two or three years. Goes to prove without a doubt that they do go bad in the unopened pack. Learned a valuable lesson. Thanks for the help.