1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volume Pot with Rotary on/off

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass_case, Jan 20, 2015.

1. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    I recently bought a Squier VM Jaguar V, this is the one with the PJ configuration with an active bass boost. I was planning to put a push/pull pot on it so I can electrically bypass the boost, but was thinking a pot with a rotary switch, like on an old car radio, makes more sense.

Can anyone provide a source for these? I haven't opened the bass up yet and don't know the resistance for the existing pot.

Also, I haven't been able to locate a wiring diagram for this bass yet, so a link would be appreciated.

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Sorry, those won't work...rotary on/off switches are single pole, single throw, they can turn power on and off, but they won't work for a preamp bypass, you need a double pole, double throw (DPDT) switch. Push-pull pots have DPDT switches.

bass_case likes this.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    besides, you then wouldn't be able to bypass the preamp unless you had this knob (whatever it was doing) all the way down, what good is that?

bass_case likes this.
  4. bass_case

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    Well, that's a drag. It just seemed intuitive to me, since you turn the pot clockwise to increase the amount of boost, counter-clockwise to decrease, with the final tactile click to indicate bypass.

Will probably just add a toggle, a push pull seems weird for this.

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    The 'off' to gradual boost idea would add the boost circuit to the passive circuit.
    A bypass is an 'either/or' configuration.
    The signal has to either follow the passive circuit OR the active circuit.

bass_case likes this.
  6. bass_case

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for the responses. Guess I'll use a conventional DPDT for this... although I guess if one were truly obsessed with the concept, that single pole switch could be used to power up a relay switch do the active
    /passive thing.

No, I ain't that crazy.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Oh OK; that makes sense conceptually, say if the knob were a boost-only bass control as opposed to something where the flat "starting point" was in the center of the turn.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021