Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume pots wired in reverse? Problem?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MtnGoat, Dec 23, 2004.

1. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Hey Guys,
    i have a Lull Vintage J bass with passive lindy frailin pickups. The 2 volume pots operate in the reverse direction than any other bass I have owned. Are these wired in reverse, is it a problem, and is it just a matter of switching the wires to correct it?
    Just curious. So far it hasn't been a problem, but I'm guessing that some day I will go to play and have my volumes off because I've been playing another bass the day before and used to that configuration.

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    LOL, I did this last week when I wasn't paying attenion to where I was soldering

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

The wiper works from the center out so it would sense they're swapped and I've probably done it backwards at some point to know. But I know I've read left hand quitars actaully require reversed pots which brings up a contradiction. You wouldn't need left hand pots if you could just reverse the wires - unless I'm missing somethng here.

Or maybe it's along the longs of us telling my sister to make sure NOT to get her son a right hand football for xmass, since he's left handed.

4. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Right-o luknfur. A quick web search turned up this thread over at Telecaster.com - for those who aren't into reading other board's threads ;) here's the answer:

BTW, this only applies to audio taper pots used for volume controls - linear taper pots function indentically in either direction.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like I need to either start spell checking or cut back on the bacon grease.

6. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    In what way would the sound be degraded with reverse-wired pots? This bass gets heaps of comments on how great it sounds so I'm curious if this pot-influence has much/anything to do with its sound. Would correct wiring reduce hum/buzz?

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Because it's an audio taper pot in reverse it should change volume levels at a strange rate. It shoudn't reduce the sound quality but I've never had any experience with reverse wired pots.

8. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    :confused:

Do you mean the order of the pot lug connections or the wiring overall? Proper overall grounding is the only wiring correction that reduces hum. The type of taper and order of lug connections isn't in the hum/buzz equation.