1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Volume Pots"?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ak50324, Apr 26, 2006.

1. ak50324

ak50324

Jul 30, 2005
    I finally ordered my Sx jazz, and after reading tat the electronics are inferior, I went on bestbassgear, and found that they only sell 250k "volume" pots.

1. I want a 500k pot for the neck pup, anyone know where I could get one?
    2. I also was wondering if those Volume pots can be used for the tone.
    3. Should I use the more bass filled 250ks or the trebley 500ks for the bridge Pup?

2. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  3. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    250k pots are used for basses with single coils and 500k with humbuckers usually. You won't be achieving anything by changing those two besides make your bass sound crappy

You can get pots at bestbassgear, allparts, stewmac and tons of others.

When people say the elctronics suck in SX's they mostly mean the pickups, won't be much difference (if any at all) to buy a new pot if the old one works fine. volume pots are usually called "audio" pots or "log" pots (logarithm) Tone pots are usually "lin" pots (linear) although plenty of people have also used log pots for tone before.

4. IMO, the quality of pots can make a difference in sound quality. The difference can be significant under say the scrutiny of a recording environment - however you are right that it doesnt make THAT much difference in an SX compared to switching out the pickups themselves. I find upgrading to CTS or similair pots (Alps are always nice if you can find them) is always a good move, even if its just for the reliability factor...

Also, ak - why do you want to use a 500k pot in particular, is it because you want less of the highs to be bled to ground? It's obviously a personal preference thing but for an SX jazz i'd be looking for 250k pots all round first.