Volume Problem w/ Carvin HB4s

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GREGofTEMPLATE, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Hey Guys and Gals, I need a little help. I am working on a jazz type pickup configuration. I have two Carvin HB4 pickups installed. I am using 3 500k pots. 2 volumes and 1 tone. I also have 2 switches installed to split each pickup. My problem consists of a couple things: 1) I cannot get an equal balance between pickups. If I have both pickup volumes up the whole way, I get a decent sound. But, if I roll back the volume on the bridge pickup, just slightly, the neck volume increases significantly. If I turn the neck volume down slightly, the same happens with the bridge pickup. If I turn both of them up all of the way, as I said, I get a decent sound- with a decrease in volume. The coil split switches do what they are supposed to do, no problems there. 2) The other problem is that my tone knob sucks. I am using a .47 microfarad resistor like I should. The brightness of the tone remains the same while rolling it back until about 35% then it dramatically cuts the highs off. There is no smooth tone control. 3) If I turn down both volumes to zero, still can hear my bass. Then if turn down the tone control, volume decreases again- but it can still be heard.

I reversed the phase on the bridge pickup by switching the start and finish wires, thinking it would help, but there was no audible difference. I originally started this project with 1 volume, 1 blend, and 1 tone pot. But that didn’t work out. So, I opted for the simpler approach. Now this isn't working, either. I now realize I had a similar problem with a Precision. I had installed a Carvin HB4 at the bridge. Again, when the bridge volume was rolled back to 90%, the neck volume boosted, noticeably. Does anyone have any ideas?

Here is a diagram:

Attached Files:

2. In my preciously attached diagram I forgot to wire the output of the tone pot.

Attached Files:

3. Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    How many conductors does each pickup have? 2 ,3 or 4 conductors? May be you need more than 2 conductors to
    split pickups.
  4. There are four conductors: Start to End. Black, red, white, green, plus a shield. Splitting the pickup is not the problem though. The volume is the main concern.