1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Volume Problem w/ Carvin HB4s

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GREGofTEMPLATE, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Hey Guys and Gals, I need a little help. I am working on a jazz type pickup configuration. I have two Carvin HB4 pickups installed. I am using 3 500k pots. 2 volumes and 1 tone. I also have 2 switches installed to split each pickup. My problem consists of a couple things: 1) I cannot get an equal balance between pickups. If I have both pickup volumes up the whole way, I get a decent sound. But, if I roll back the volume on the bridge pickup, just slightly, the neck volume increases significantly. If I turn the neck volume down slightly, the same happens with the bridge pickup. If I turn both of them up all of the way, as I said, I get a decent sound- with a decrease in volume. The coil split switches do what they are supposed to do, no problems there. 2) The other problem is that my tone knob sucks. I am using a .47 microfarad resistor like I should. The brightness of the tone remains the same while rolling it back until about 35% then it dramatically cuts the highs off. There is no smooth tone control. 3) If I turn down both volumes to zero, still can hear my bass. Then if turn down the tone control, volume decreases again- but it can still be heard.

I reversed the phase on the bridge pickup by switching the start and finish wires, thinking it would help, but there was no audible difference. I originally started this project with 1 volume, 1 blend, and 1 tone pot. But that didn’t work out. So, I opted for the simpler approach. Now this isn't working, either. I now realize I had a similar problem with a Precision. I had installed a Carvin HB4 at the bridge. Again, when the bridge volume was rolled back to 90%, the neck volume boosted, noticeably. Does anyone have any ideas?

Here is a diagram:

Attached Files:

2. In my preciously attached diagram I forgot to wire the output of the tone pot.

Attached Files:

3. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    How many conductors does each pickup have? 2 ,3 or 4 conductors? May be you need more than 2 conductors to
    split pickups.

4. There are four conductors: Start to End. Black, red, white, green, plus a shield. Splitting the pickup is not the problem though. The volume is the main concern.