Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

volume problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pekken, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Pekken

Pekken

Jan 23, 2004
    I have a 6 year old Ibanez Soundgear and a peavey basic 60 amp. When I got the guitar the A-string was defect or something, I almost couldn't hear it. So I changed the string and all was well, almost.. Today the new string has gotten almost as bad, and I noticed the top E-string sounds ten times as loud as the other strings (the A-string harder to hear than the other 3).

Does anyone understand what the hell is wrong with my guitar?

[edit] my pickups look like this:

E---------|----|--
    D---------|----|--
    A-----------|--|--
    E-----------|--|--

2. Pekken

Pekken

Jan 23, 2004
    Anyone?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    how is your pickup height, and difference between pickups and strings?

Generally, the pickups will be sloped - i.e. closer to the G string and further away from the E

4. Pekken

Pekken

Jan 23, 2004
    heheh.. the distance from the pickup to the E string is 0.5 cm, the distance from the pickup to the G string is... 0.5 cm. :) There's something fishy with the other strings aswell. the distance to the A (the string that can't be heard) is 0.6 cm, the D is 0.55 cm. Is there a "best" distance between the strings/pickup? if not, what should the differential be?

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think you'll find specific info in the setup forum, I know I don't do it to recommended heights. But that's more because I don't know what they are than because I'm a rebel or anything.

Generally, the pickup heights should be sloped so that all strings should sound an equal volume when plucked. Also, usually bridge pickups will be closer to the strings than neck pickups as there is less string movement at the bridge.

Of course, move 'em too close and you can overpower any onboard preamp.

6. Pekken

Pekken

Jan 23, 2004
    Alright, gotta do that after the weekend.. What should I do about the A string which is higher above the pickup than the other strings? That's obviously not due to the sloping of the pickup, but I still don't know how to fix it. I don't know anything about fiddling with the electronics of guitars so..

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, the A string could he higher above the pickup due to sloping. Particularly with a P pickup, which is what I think your diagram is saying.

But you're saying the A is higher above the other strings too? Then that's a setup issue, work on taking the string height down at the bridge.

8. Pekken

Pekken

Jan 23, 2004
    Thanks a lot for the help.

9. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    As for adjusting string height, lower the string "saddle" for the A string. Measure its current height, lower it and see if volume increases. Raise it and see if the volume increases. Pickups can be too close and cause cancellation. Many saddle screws require a hex tool to adjust. Try a different bass or even a guitar through the amp. Try your bass through a different amp to pinpoint is it the amp or the bass. If the bass has two pickups, does the problem exist with one pickup and not the other or with both on full? Set the amp EQ (bass/treble) knobs flat (straight up at 12 o'clock). Still no A? Different brand of strings (can sometimes find a single bass string at stores).