1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Volume problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Auggie, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Auggie

Auggie

Mar 28, 2017
    Background on my rig and situation:

Playing a passive P bass through a Hartke LH1000 (1,000 watts) and a matching set of Hydrive 8 ohm cabs: 1x15 and 4x10 (these make it so that the cores pump out 250W on each side at a total of 500W max at 8 ohms). The band consists of a main guitarist, drummer, me on bass, and a singer that plays keys and a little guitar. We also practice in my concrete basement (putting some acoustic panels up soon).

Love the amp and it sounds great, but I'm having trouble competing with my guitarist's 100W combo amp. He runs a mid-heavy EQ and that's what I was told to run as well for my specific amp when I had problems before.

So my problem here is idk what I'm doing wrong in terms of sonic presence. As I said, I used to run mostly mids with bass and treble cut, but now that I'm playing with this band, I've got everything about middle with a slight bass boost. I'm just wondering what I can do to boost myself up in the sound. Is it an issue with my EQ, the practice space, or do I need to get some 4 ohm cabs or what?

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    work on EQ first - playing with a band is 100% different than playing alone. try some more highs and lows, experiment. each room and each band will have different needs, so get used to playing with those knobs. you might even try the LH1000's BRITE button and see what happens.

Nickweissmusic likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I assume that you are plugging into the passive input and that the tube is not worn out.

4. Auggie

Auggie

Mar 28, 2017
    Thanks for the input! The problem I have, though, is that my last band required me to play with my mids on 8 and my bass and treble cut. So I'm wondering what EQ's people may typically use with a similar setup/issue

5. Auggie

Auggie

Mar 28, 2017
    Yes to passive input. This is my first amp involving a tube and IveI owned it for almost 2 years. Playing once or twice a week on average. Could it be worn out already?

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Concrete basement? You mean echo chamber?

You really need to deaden the whole room.

Also, Put some sound board around the drums, up above the cymbal level. This was the number one thing that helped us control rehearsal volume.

Get all the cabs to ear level on stands or tilt them back.

Rugs or carpet tiles on the floor.

IMO, until the room is deadened, working on your eq. is a very low return on investment.

One other tip: Turn the guitar amp around to face the wall ala Bose speakers. The reflected sound will smooth the mids and reduce beaming.

Wear ear plugs!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    getbent, Nashrakh, Jim Carr and 7 others like this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    there is no "typically" as the type of music, volume the band plays at, your guitar player's settings, equipment, your drummer's sound and the room you're in - hard cement, you say? ouch!!! - will all affect things plus there's what equipment you use.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It depends on how hard you are driving it, a hight gain setting will take a toll.

Here are some general recommendations as to when to change a tube:

Tubes | TalkBass.com

Stumbo is right though. The room could be sucking out the low end. High end like the guitar puts out really carries.

9. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    This. Moving blankets are cheap and multi-functional!

Also, based on what I've read elsewhere on the forum, the LH1000 has a passive Fender-style tone stack where flat is 2, 10, 2 for bass, middle, and treble. Start there and adjust to taste.

Perhaps also try switching around your stack so the 1x15 is on top of the 4x10. You might get more midrange projection that way, and it's free to try!

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    You are heading into a volume war that no bass player can win. A cranked 100W guitar amp is a fearsome thing to keep up with. I can only hope that you are wearing hearing protection. At a rehearsal there is no need to play that loud! How are you supposed to hear what’s going wrong in the music?

AstroSonic, lowendrv, TrevorG and 8 others like this.
  11. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    What about the vocals? Can they be heard?

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I didn’t even THINK of that aspect! :(

13. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I'm curious how loud things are getting in this room!
    I use an LH1000 into a 410 and never turn it up past 10 or 11 o clock with a rock band.
    Could be you have weakened signal output from the bass.
    Could be speaker phase cancellation due to different sized drivers. Maybe just using one cabinet would cut into the mix better.
    Regardless you need to address the room treatments right away. You will ruin your ears playing in a concrete room at high volume, even with earplugs.
    Good luck!

14. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    That's the definition of "anti-scooped". You may need to smiley face your eq, but first start with it flat and start tweaking it until the bass begins to separate itself from the pack. Also, what others have said about the room you're in - good advice there possibly.

15. Try ditching the 15. Or at least disconnect it and see what happens.
    The two cabs might be fighting each other.

16. Auggie

Auggie

Mar 28, 2017
    Replying to all of these at once:

We all know guitarists have incredibly fragile egos and asking the SoB to turn down is heresy. I've suggested we all lower the volume several times and yet we all eventually rise at some point. Vocals are heard pretty well in the mix. Drums and guitar are definitely coming through the loudest. I suppose there could be an issue with the output of the bass as mentioned previously, but I think it sounds great alone and in the mix despite being drowned out in certain situations. I definitely understand needing to dampen the room, but I'm getting conflicting EQ suggestions here. Some are saying HiFi (bass and treble, mid scoop) and some saying mid-heavy. The problem with that is that this amp has a natural mid scoop and I blew the 4x10 running it in bridge mode with the mid scoop with a completely different band.

It almost seems to be arbitrary after reading all of these responses

TrevorG likes this.
  17. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    FWIW I have that amp and I bypass the pre section and plug my pedal board into the rear panel. That pre is pretty wonky IMO. You might try that and see if you get punchier mids. I definitely do.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    IIRC, that amp has a Fender tone stack type of EQ, so going by the OP's settings, he's running fairly flat with, perhaps, a bit of mid scoop. Nominal "flat" on such an EQ arrangement is 2-10-2. The OP doesn't say where he has the bass and treble controls set to, he just says they're cut. Cut to what, who really knows? But, I'd bet the OP does. :D

Curtbass and wave rider like this.
  19. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Maybe adding an HPF would help cut the mud down low.

20. Your mids are an octave below the guitar mids. Backing off the guitar's bass will have much more of an effect than anythIng you can do to your EQ.

Put all the cabs up and or tilted so they blast their owners right in the head.

Volume war over.