Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikgag, Sep 14, 2005.

1. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    When running through an Avatar B212 + B210 will there be any NOTICABLE volume difference between :

Ashdown MAG300H - 307 RMS (500 peak)
    Yorkville XS400 - 400 RMS (725 peak)

..all this taking into consideration of the 3db rule and such.

:confused:

2. There was a massive thread that just discussed this whole issue (the advantage of watts, etc.). I think if you do a search you will find it. The simple answer to your question is 'no', but a published watt is not always an apples to apples comparison across brands.... the voicing of the preamp, the distortion level, the quality of the transformer, etc. can make a huge difference.

3. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i find this true from my experience. a watt is a watt however 2 different brands with the same power rating does not mean they will have equal volume.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    That has less to do with watts than voicing. Certain frequencies sound louder to the ear at the same level of electrical output therefore any amp that emphasizes those is going to sound louder at the same wattage.

Which is basically what he said already so....

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    When you play, you're not running the amp at full power, either. Otherwise you'd have terrible distortion on the attack of each note. So when you're comparing volumes of a 300-watt amp and a 450-watt amp, you might actaully be comparing only 50 watts to 60 watts, or 75 watts to 40 watts, etc.