1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Volume Setting on Stingray V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldmanp03, Jan 18, 2012.

1. oldmanp03

oldmanp03

Oct 7, 2010
    So, I have always heard the notion that with a Fender you put volume to 10 on the bass and go from there. Anybody heard this?

But with a Stingray, it seems if you do this you are overloading everything else.

Am I doing something I shouldn't be doing by putting the bass volume wide open and working everything backwards from there? Why shouldn't I?

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have a number of stingray 4's and 5's and I always play with the volume dimed. I never overload my amp and the tone is fantastic. It's simply not an issue. However, my Bongo 5 has an 18 volt per amp and it sounds better with the volume backed off a bit. I find it is a much hotter output then the Stingrays.

3. I don't, think the volume acts, like a gain if thats what your saying,i know what you mean about the bongo, the preamp is super ballsy and I usually backed off the volume when I had the pleasure of owning one

4. Bass on full is quite extreme no matter what the EBMM bass it is, but more so with the Bongo!

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I play all of mine dimed, I don't have any issues with it. I may get a little overdriven type of sound but that is what I want.

I think he means the volume control, not the bass EQ.

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I find Musicman basses have a very hot output. I back it off a bit on my Sterling and if I need a little more I'll dime it all the way...

7. Bill G.

Bill G.

Dec 2, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah, I dime my Stingrays, too. No problems at all.

8. mgs2277

mgs2277

Nov 5, 2011
    My 5 string Stingray seems to have less volume than my 4, even before I swapped out the pickup in the 4 string for a Basslines alnico. Does anyone else have that same issue?

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Turn your amp up. It's common to have slightly differing outputs. It's not really an "issue". I have two passive basses with different output levels and the difference between a couple of my active basses are even more notable.

But I don't consider it a problem.