Volume / Tone - how much do you listen to your band members?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hi guys,

A couple members of my band think my volume is too low. It seems pretty good to me. I suppose I could turn it up, and push it back. I don't want to hear nothing but me... Should I just ask them to turn down?

Also, one of my guitarists has been suggesting to me that he likes the percussive sound of Korn's bass. I like to have a full tone though, high, mids, and lows all included.

When you are in a band situation, how much do you compromise? When it comes to volume, tone, gear, shows, song material... etc etc? I could just say, it's my bass, my amp, my tone, I am the bass player... Back off! But, it is a band. There should be some cooperation, right? What do you guys think?
  2. i think that you should tell the other guys in your band that you feel a little left out and that you want to be heard! don't be to forceful and don't go ina huff if they don't listen! just turn it up a little at a time so they don't notice as much :p
  3. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I would listen to them about the volume, but tell them where to stick it with all that fEiLdY stuff.;)
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think he said that they're trying to get him to turn up, not down.

Compromise in a band situation is tricky. On the one hand, everyone should have equal say. On the other hand, you need to be cooperative. The fine line is knowing when to be "cooperative" (aka: giving in) and when to stand firm (aka: having equal say).

I'd approach it by trying to figure out, together, what sound the band is after, then deciding what tone the bass should take on in support of that sound. The thing is, it needs to be a collaborative effort if you're to be a successful band.

Then, tell the guitarist that he's full of it!:p Tell him if he wants the bassist from Korn, he should hire that guy;)
  5. "Fine, lets see you get through the gig tomorrow without me on bass"

See how that goes for compromise. But serisously folks, argue your case. I mean, if EVERYONE thinks that the fieldy thing would work in the band, give it a try, but if you think it just sucks they'll have to live with that. Ask how the guitarist would feel if you took away his distortion pedal, told the vocalist "no more PA, its a megaphone for you" and said to the drummer "sorry mate, no more Remo skins for you, here, stretch this baloon over it". I mean, okay the last two are extreme but explain that this is as much part of you being in the band as the part you wrote, or the lyrics you suggested. I'm sure they would understand that, if thats how you feel

6. I remember an egomaniac shredhead guitarist telling me that I should cut all the mids and treble out of my tone; he wanted to simply have a "nice bed of bass" to shred over. I told him that he should stop using the Dual Rectifier model on his Line 6 AX2-212 (those amps are really awful in a mix, BTW) if he planned to continue to use a Les Paul, because I enjoy being able to tell what notes I'm playing.

Not coincidentally, the project fell apart soon afterward, when he kicked the drummer out of his chair on one song, said, "This is what you should play," and proceeded to lay down one of the most cliched metal backbeats I've ever heard.
  7. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Sitting in the mix is each band member's responsibility....what's the overall sound you're trying to get for the band as a whole?
    Heaven forbid you should tell a guitarist "too much reverb" or "could you turn down?"...
    I find slotting in the guitar in a mixdown one of the most unpleasant tasks possible (next to getting the vocalist to do a soundcheck).
    If you know what you're playing you don't need 140db of volume on stage - Front of house mix is totally different and (unfortunately) not up to us.
  8. I am the tone-monger in my band. When the guitarists are having trouble with really muddy or tinny tones, it's me to the rescue! :p

In the other band...everyone knows what tone they're looking for, and it all just gels, there's almost never any need for us to adjust our tone except maybe between songs. :D
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    'Tis better for you to be asked to turn up, than to be asked to turn down. ;)

As far as my tone was concerned, my band didn't have **** to say about it. My guitarist's rig sounded like a swarm of angry bees, held captive in an old, empty Folger's coffee can, my singer could barely yell in key and our drummer couldn't have kept a steady beat if you had held a gun to his head. I guess none of us liked to be told that we sounded like ass (although, my guitarist was the only one that ever received such a comment and it never caused him to go out and buy something decent).

I know what I want my bass to sound like, both in and out of a band situation and when finally I get the sound that's in my head to come out of my speaker cabs, I won't care what anyone else has to say about it!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I would tell him that he was too loud all the time as well, but every time we'd come back from a break, he'd turn his amp up just a little bit more than where it was when he shut it off.
  10. I personally think that cooperation is imperative. This is not to say that one should bow to all requests from other band members though. In my band, all of us throw suggestions at each other continually. When we rehearse, if someone makes a suggestion, we'll try the tune with whatever change was recommended just to see how it works and then decide which way we like best (or better yet, get an idea for yet another change that winds up improving the overall sound).

As far as tone goes, my drummer just gives me a blank stare when I mention the word tone and my guitarist/singer doesn't care as long as he's happy with his sound. The only time Mike (guitarist) has anything to say about my tone is when we record. He can't stand that I mic my cab (the only way I can get a balanced signal is through my amp's built in DI which bypasses the tone shaping. :( ). So I'm pretty much left on my own when it comes to tone. Everything else, however, we'll try on for size and then go from there.
  11. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    :( unfortunately about 90% of live gigs I've done the sound engineers always mix the FOH bass in such a way as to render it practically inaudible , it's there but more as a sort of subsonic rumble..forget about hearing individual notes (tone? eh? what dyou want tone for? its bass :rolleyes:

I've lost count of the number of times I've done great gigs with tremenduous on stage sound only to hear the FOH mix and just want to give up, I recently did one live gig which was being recorded and the sound guy was apparently one of the best in the business :rolleyes: now we were all using wireless systems for this gig and during the soundcheck I walked off the stage to have a listen..sure enough buried bass I even asked him could he give me a bit more mid to cut through a bit and his reply was "dont worry about it it'll sound fine when the audience is in and anyway youve plenty of 'soak' ????) .

Needless to say I heard the recording...no bass:mad: I mean why bother?

(Speaking of the "play/sound like insert name here" comments, I once heard a session guy arguing with another guitarist "I'm NOT using a plectrum on a fender jazz bass!!!" :D
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I hate when people say bass is supposed to be felt not heard. I know a guitar player guy I went to high school with.. he used to mess with may amp. turn all the bass and treble up and cut out all of the mids.. i hate when people touch my amp. i have my tone. its mine not his.. so i would put it back where i want it where you get more coloration of the notes because of the mids and he didn't like it because it was drowning out his acoustic guitar..

I think you should probably turn up a bit.. but i would't take the advice about Fieldy.. nothing against the guy. i just don't like the way he plays.... what you could do.... COULD!!! is get a couple of say SWR 8x10 cabs. ( say 3 of them :) ) and get you say about a 4000 watt head... I don't think you will ever have to worry about being heard again :D
  13. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    My band practiced at a studio last night, with sudio gear.

The studio provided a Ampeg SVT350H, with a matching Ampeg 410 cab.

I had to turn the thing to 75% on Gain and Master to be heard... but it was a very full bass tone. Everyone liked how that turned out, including me.

I am sure that the R600 is not what's bugging me, it must just be the cabs. I was planning on changing the speakers in my RC210, but ended up doing something else. Now I am kind of stuck because I need to have solved my tone / volume issue by now. *sigh*

I do have some peoples that want to take my RC210 off my hands, perhaps I will do that tonight. My SWR Bass 350 arrived today so I am going to check out it's sound. I had been thinking of using two Son of Bertha cabs, but instead I may opt for two Workingman 115s. I like their sound, but I am not sure of the volume they are capable of. The Son of Bertha is rated 2db higher. So the pair would be 4db more. But money's getting short!
  14. Try to get a recording of you live or just jamming and decide from that. If it sounds good to you then continue as before. But, you are in the rare situation of being told to turn up. Make the most of it. :D

That's his opinion, and even if he is a guitarist that is an opinion to be considered. Even if only for the amount of time it takes to reject it. Ask him in which song he would like to see a percussive tone and give it a shot, if the song benefits from it I'd say it's a good thing. Or, hire a drummer on bass.

The other members of the band all have opinions that are very valuable, as they have a different perspective than you on your sound and actually know at least something on how to modify it if they don't like it. Listen to them and at least consider their opinions. Or, tell the guitarist that you'll do your best to sound like fIeLDy if he will drop his distortion/overdrive effect and the lead singer only sings in falsettoes (sp?). :)