1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

volume/tone nob issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hollow Head Ted, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Hollow Head Ted

Hollow Head Ted

Mar 26, 2015
    So, first, back story. The input for my squier Jbass wasn't engaging right, so I was going to open the bass up, and bend the prong so the patch cable fit more snug. To do this, I had to take the tone/volume nobs off. I pryed a bit, But In doing so, the entire rod connecting to nob to the lower part (pot?) Came out. I had to take them apart to put the rods back in, but now, it seems like both pick ups (these were the pick up volume nobs) won't work at all. What could be the problem?

2. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    Come to think of it, I've never taken mine apart. Don't the pots just lift out when you remove that metal plate? Why take the knobs off?

If I understand you correctly, when you pulled the knobs off, the shafts came right out of the potentiometers? Ouch. Now you have a reason to upgrade your pots. Might as well do them all and the pickups while you're at it.

3. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Are your shafts solid or splined. If solid you much unscrew the lockdown screw before removing the knob. If it is splined you can take a spoon and insert it under the knob and lightly twist a little remembering to go around the knob slightly twisting the spoon to lift off the knob a little at a time in each position. You won't damage the pot in this manner.Prying full force in one or two positions will damage the pot by pulling the shaft loose.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You pulled the shaft out of your pot, you need at least one new one. I doubt you'll be able to reassemble the pot to work, but maybe, if you can get the wiper back on the shaft properly.

mech likes this.