1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volume too low.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DTRemcoG, Feb 17, 2008.

1. DTRemcoG

DTRemcoG

Dec 16, 2007
    Dear Talkbass People,

Recently I bought my first bass.
    Immediately I noticed that the volume was low.. So I put the volume on full blast.. The volume was better, and with a little help of my amp the volume was good.
    But.. You can clearly hear noise in the background. And a bassguitar should sound very pristine if you ask me.

Does someone here know how to solve this problem?

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    From what I've read, my guess is one of three things:

1) Shielding problem. You're getting interference, which can be greatly reduced by lining the pickup and control cavity with a copper foil tape. If you don't have that, aluminum foil tape available at any hardware store will help, just not as well.
    2) A grounding problem. If your pickups aren't grounded, you'll get a lot of hum and buzz.
    3) It's just the pickups you have. Some pickups are just made differently and might have more or less noise and output than others.

Basically, it all comes down to something with your bass' pickups, pots, and/or wiring. I'd suggest asking the people in the "Pickups and Electronics" forum.

3. orgmorg

orgmorg

Jan 25, 2008
    Dismal, Tennessee
    Is the pickup height maybe too low?

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Is it a Jazz Bass? I've always thought that Jazz basses had pretty low output.

Joe

5. DTRemcoG

DTRemcoG

Dec 16, 2007
    As far as I know it isn't a jazzbass..
    And the pickups aren't really low or something.

6. orgmorg

orgmorg

Jan 25, 2008
    Dismal, Tennessee
    When you say they aren't really low, about how much space is there between the pole pieces and the strings?
    When you fret a string at the highest fret, there should be about 1/8" between that string and the pole piece below it. That's a good starting point, anyway.
    You can really lose a bunch of output if they are too low.

7. Nelson Guitars

Nelson Guitars

Aug 14, 2006
    Novato California
    Custom builder
    First bass? Is it your first amp too? Try it in different amps. Also, it could very much be a cheap cord. Try someones known set up all the way to the instrument to make sure it isn't something else.

A poor cord can cause all sorts of problems.

I just fixed a buddies bass that had a jack that wouldn't hold the cord in any longer. Just replaced the jack and all of a sudden the trebles were back. He said the instrument never did do well in the upper registers so perhaps it was simply a poor jack to begin with.

Sometimes the simple answers are the correct ones.

Greg N