volume troubles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwig, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    i recently bought myself a brand new yorkville xs400 head and a used yorkville stage B 4x10 cabinet..
    i am pleased in all fields except for raw volume...
    at band practise i am up to about 7-8 on the master volume nob while my guitarists are at around 3-4..

both their heads are 100 watts, while mine is 400.. (i know the 3-1 .. even better 4-1 watt ratio between bass and guitar)
    but im finding it really hard to be heard..

now is this the fault of my head, or the cab, which i only spent 150 canadian on (i bought it out of a classifieds paper)..
    and would buying an extra 1x15 cab help boost the volume?
  2. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    may i add that the cab must be atleast 6-8 years old..or around there..
    im just curious as how i shud go about fixing this..

btw..how would i find out exactly wat year it was made?
  3. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    guitarists. Looks like there are at least two of them in your band. And if they are using tube halfstacks with midscooped tone, it's very hard to find the volume+tone sweetspot for bass.

Try boosting your mids and lowmids frequencies while cutting the lows a bit.

And add second cabinet if that's possible.
  4. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Sorry, I don't know if that cab is good or not. That yorkie should give you a lot of power though.

100 watts + 100 watts versus 400 watts
    That's a 2-1 ratio, should be doable though.

An extra 1x15" won't do much soundwise. Yeah, it adds more booty, but you don't need that, if you just want to be heard. But it will lift the 4x10" from the ground. More on ear-height, and that's very usefull.

Listen to lame(B)ass. :smug:
    Add mids!
  5. Defintely try adjusting your EQ. I would start with everything flat. I would then ask for some cooperation form the guitar players. It is a well known fact that guitarists tend to occupy too much low end. When they practice it sounds nice and full this way but in a band ti gets in your way. Get them to turn down the bass and you should notice some added clarity in "YOUR" tone. If that isn't enough try boosting your mids a little to cut iinto the mix.

Basically everyone in the band is partly responsible to the band's sound. Far too often people are setting their EQ while at home and bringing this setup into a band situation. This isn't ideal because each instrument has to sit with the others to be heard well.
  6. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    thanks alot guys...i'll try boosting my mids...and ya, their guitar sounds are quite bassy, ill tell them to get off my turf haha..
    but is that normal...that a 4x10 halfstack is finding it hard to blast through during practise...

i know when i play at a show, i can mic it...but i just like having head room, and im running out as it is.
  7. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    but wud a crappy cab have a big effect on the volume?
  8. Yes. Not only are the number of speakers important for volume but their sensitivity is very much a determining factor. Some speakers are simply louder than others.
  9. Have you ever listened to the mix on the Metallica "...and justice for all" disk? Check out how the guitar AND kick drum step all over the bass guitar range making it impossible to hear the bass.
  10. Adding another cab would give another 100 watts or so, as well as extra speaker surface. I'm pretty sure that the Yorkville 4x10's are only 8 ohms.
  11. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    sorry, my speciality certainly isnt amps and ohms...
    and my rig is at my guitarists house...
    but ya i believe its 8 ohms..
    but its got two inputs on the back of the cab...and my head has two speaker out jacks..
    so how would i add on another cabinet if all the speaker out jacks are being used?

im not sure of the wattage...but it looks a few years old, so im not sure if it wud have the same specs as the new yorkville cabs..

also...how would i raise it up to ear level...
    someone told me that to get the best sound out of the rigg it shud be touching the ground (no wheels)..
  12. I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but are you connecting two speaker cables to your 4x10 cab? If you are then you will want to remove one cable. You will then have one output from your amp and one parallel connection on your speaker cabinet that you can connect another cab to. It doesn't matter which way you go.

Adding another 8 ohm cab will drop the impedance down to 4 ohms which will draw more power from your amp. You will then have more power and more speakers which will give you a noticable volume boost. Definately worth it but check out the other possibilities first to see if you can save some money.
  13. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Use 1 speaker cable for 1 cab.

If you want to go WHOOOOM, do that. But low end won't help you much piercing through. I think you want your rig high, and isolate it from the ground. Cut lows, mids mids mids.

Do you use compression?

What style of music do you play?
  14. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    so although my cab has two input jacks on the back, if i only run one wire from my head into it, it will still power it fully?

and then i can run another wire into another cab...
    which will lower the ohms..drawing more wattage...giving it more volume.
    i get it..

well the cab is angled..so one 2 x 10 is pointing up at an angle..while the other is just paralle to the ground..

the head i have has a built in compressor...thats the only compressor i use.

i play fast hardcore punk rock..
    but due to my presence...our band wants to hear the bass in the mix...and want it to stand out more than it does in most other bands in our genre..

ill lower a bit the bass...and boost the treble and high mid..but i do have to admit, i love the low, bassy sound of bands like sublime. although in my genre..i do want to have some clearity, especially with two guitars with full on distortion and fast drumming.
  15. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Also, you may consider stepping away from the speaker a bit. The long soundwaves that the bass kicks out are best hear from at least a couple of feet away.
  16. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    ya the amps are set up in almost a triangle fashion...with the drummer in the middle..

its about 6 feet away from the drummer..
  17. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    I assumed you played Metal. In this case, go however you like. Want bassy? Add a 15"!
  18. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Where you stand in the sound wave doesn't matter. This notion has only been really experienced in folded horn cabinets where, like any horn, it takes some space for the waveform to fully develop.

Standing further away does take you less off-axis though, which does change the sound and affects your ability to hear the highs coming from the cabinet.
  19. You got it with the cord and added cab. One more thought. If you aren't cutting through you need to back off on the bass for a couple of reasons. It will allow you to get more volume out of your amp. Bass frequencies take up a lot of the power of your amp so backing them off will allow your mids and highs to get louder. So, if you back off on the lows and then can turn up the amp your lows will be back where they were with louder mids and highs. Mission accomplished.

If all else fails get another cab.
  20. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    awesome..thanks alot, ill have to try this out next practise.