Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzaro, May 6, 2001.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    What will be louder 4x10 or 1x15? I am running the carvin cyclops and can't get enough juice out of it. I am looking for extention cabs to increase my volume. The head is 275 watts at 4 ohms. The cabinet has a 2x8 with 1x15 and a horn tweeter. I can't get this rig to cut through and still sound good. I am playing it all out with the gain on 3+ and it still isn't enough. Other guys with the same head, carvin R600, exult about having the volume knob at less than five and having all the sound they need. What are they playing in, a closet backing a ukulele? Am I doing something wrong. Maybe they have the gain knob and the volume knob confused. So I am considering the 4x10 from the speakerhole. Does anyone own one of these? It is all I can afford for a quick fix before the band throws me out in the street.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    How do you set your EQ?

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Actually, when the head is BI-AMPED it is running 275W @ 4 ohms from EACH AMP. If you run BRIDGED, and FULL RANGE, you get 600W at 4 ohms. It's all in the settings. There's a little chiclet button on the back of the head that says bridged. Push it in and turn down...

This can be a fairly complicated amp, with essentially four stages at which to affect the volume. For more on the workings of this, IMO, fine amp, Carvin provides their manuals online. I highly recommend downloading it and going through ALL of your amp settings with this in hand. BTW, I'm one of those guys who never has had to turn up past 5 after two years, better than 75 gigs in all types of small to medium size venues.

http://www.carvin.com/manuals/R600.pdf

HTH,
    -robert

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Here's one little trick I know of from my Cyclops;

- With the Gain at 7 o'clock, (none), turn your power amps and the Master Volume up to about 8 or 9 o'clock.

- Increase the Gain till you see clipping in the power amps. Then back the Gain down to just below the threshold where it won't clip.

- Now, have at it with your Master Volume and power amps.

Also, if you have with the two 3-position switches on the back, (not the L-pad), be sure the top switch is set in the middle postion. This engages the bottom switch so you can adjust where the crossover is directing the bulk of your signal and power, (i.e. - the 8 ohm 8's or the 4 ohm 15"). They rushed the amp to the market without revising the manual to reflect change to the switches.

Hope it helps. All I know otherwise is that the Eminence 15" they use needs to be a better speaker, or that when I bridge it with another cab, it becomes a much more formidable amp.

5. this is a good rule for any amp, actually.

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks for all the input. I would really like to make this amp work for me. I try and keep my eq pretty flat or else it just distorts and clips real early. Especially if I increase the low end.
    I have bridged it occasionally and only briefly because two 4 ohm speaker channels bridged are acually 2 ohms? I thought that would be asking for trouble and wasn't recomended. I' ve seen posts that reinforce this thought. I have the manual and find it to be marginal in so far as information goes. It is really pretty basic and just tells you what you got not really how to use it. I have been working with the gain knob too, but not specificaly as you stated and will try it next time out. I am a little puzzled by your setting on your gain knob. Mine at 7 o'clock is negitive gain and at twelve it is at zero? I don't have the buttons or knobs you are refering to on the back of my cab. I can set the crossover on the front of the amp and have a full range and biamp button next to the knob. I would have to agree about the 15 inch speaker. I have a low b and that speaker at volume just shivers and doesn't really cut it. Even on low E or F. So an extention cab will Help? Hey that bridge button in the back, do you have to move your connections over to center or can you just hit the button. I have done it both ways and it seems to work either way. What would happen if I used all four jacks? If the cabs where 16 ohms would it work??
    Thanks again to one and all.

7. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I've said this in other threads - make sure you connect your speakers exactly as specified in the user's manual. You must use the middle jacks to get bridged output, and you must stay above the minimum combined load of 4 ohms (e.g., one 4-ohm speaker alone, or 2 8-ohm speakers in parallel). If you "unbridge", use the two outer jacks for separate outputs. Carvin is quite clear and explicit about this. Of course, if you *like* your amp to shut down or smoke at an inconvenient or embarrassing time, by all means connect it in whatever way suits you ! ;)
    - Mike