Volvo Glt Turbo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Impulsee, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Does anyone have one of these. Iv been stareing at them all day on Ebay. I want one really bad. about a week ago one drove by me, and i followed it for a while in shock. Then the other day i went to a resteraunt with some friends, and i parked right next to one. I was stareing in the windows for so long my friends had to pull me away. Anyone have one??~?? are they fast??~?? I WANT ONE.

- w00t
  2. another one!!~!!

- w00t
  3. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    can you afford a volvo? they aren't the cheapest cars. I've been looking at some older model volvo wagons cause i need all the space for my bass stuff. never driven one though. :meh: :)
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Looks like it's Volvo 850 GLT you're after. Yeah, I've seen them around, nice cars with lots of extras, but the interiors can be a bit outdated in design (I think) and they also are somewhat expensive. Early 90's models go for $10-12k here, probably for couple grands less in the States but anyways.

If you want something similar but less expensive, you could look into Volvo 460's, they should be pretty nice also and run for few grands less.
  5. heres the inside of one. I think they look fine. They have them on e-bay for only 9k. looks good to me. Cd player and everythink.
  6. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    It looks like an S70 to me. I have a 98 S70 T5, the high pressure turbo engine. The GLT is a bit underpowered IMO. The T5 is pretty cool.
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ponder, I think it might be a S70 afterall. Here's what got me fooled: a '96 Volvo 850, they look very similar.

It's no wonder they look similar though, the old 400/700/800/900-series got revamped to present S40/60/70/80 sometime around '96-'97, I think.
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I own both a 1993 Volvo 850 GLT, and a 2001 V70. Prior to that I've owned a 1983 Volvo Turbo, and a 1982 240 Wagon.

I am sure that Volvo (and others) have made progress as far as turbo technology is concerned but, turbos seem to be very hard on an engine and its components. I had to have the '83 turbo rebuilt, (expensive).

My wife and I decided that naturally aspirated (non-turbo) is the way to go.

The '93 gave me no end of trouble, until I switched dealerships, and now it is just fine (old car problems, but just fine). 120k miles, Serviced as per the manual.(it is non-turbo)

The 2001 has been very nice so far. The right door speaker went out, and warranty coverage replaced it. Much to my wifes' chagrin, I service these as the manual says to. If you ever have trouble, even out of warranty, and you show the dealer that they've been responsible for ALL the maintinence, they may cut you some slack on repairs.(Our V-70 is non-turbo)

Cars(parts) do wear out, and ALL DEALERSHIPS ARE NOT EQUAL!

But the 850 and the V-70 have decent stock stereos!
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Volvos are good solid cars, but avoid the turbo models. They never really got the hang of it. IME. They are also WAY overpriced on the used market, people are asking for 2800 for an 82 with rust and needing work here in MA. No 83 production that has rusted floor pans and needs suspension and electrical work is worth 2800. IMO.
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    On the topic of interiors, here's a pic where you'll see why I find them bit old-fashioned, it's from a '94 850 Turbo.

I just looked at some site which showed a '98 S70 GLT for sale for $17500, so they might be a bit out of your league, I assume. S40 is smaller and less expensive but has quite similar looks, or if you want to check out the older 850's, the bit more modern frame was in production '94-'97.