1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Volvo Towing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by BryanM, Nov 19, 2010.

1. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I know a lot of you guys here on the forum drive Volvo wagons and I'm considering purchasing a late 80s to mid 90s 240, 850 or 940 depending on what's available. One question I have for some of you with a Volvo wagon is whether any of these seem like they'd be robust enough to tow a band's equipment trailer. The trailer is a 4x8 enclosed trailer with about an 1100 lb weight and it would be carrying about 140lbs of bass equipment, 5pc drumset with hardware and cymbals, 2 60lb 15" mains, 4 35lb 10" monitors, a 120lb or so amp/mixer case, about a 80lb guitar amp and around 180lbs of hardware, mics, instruments and such. So the total amount towed would be in the range of 2000lbs or so. I've searched online and the only other answers I've come across have just suggested checking the owner's manual, which I don't have.

2. 240 2500lb
    850/940 3500lb/300tongue

just remember you are in pittsburg and not topeka.

3. Provbass1

Provbass1 Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2009
    dont do it with a 240-- it's got a little 4 banger

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I keep on wanting to say "Call AAA!" :D

There, now I can relax...

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    240, 740 and 940 all share the same drive train (rear wheel drive and 4 cylinder). All will tow your needs... not great but will do the job. The weak point isn't the engine, it's the trans. I've retired an 85 240 wagon and 91 740 wagon both because at 300k+ miles the transmissions failed on me.

The 850 and V70 wagons (I currently have a V70) are front wheel drive with an inline 5 engine. I would consider them too.

6. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    A healthy example of any of the above is capable of towing 2000 pounds just fine. Make sure the brakes are well are good, that's the biggest towing issue here in Pittsburgh.

7. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    Really?

I used tow a small sailboat with a vw bug!

There are really lightweight cargo trailersthese days. And, as stated before, get a trailer with brakes. And, don't overload the tongue.

I am accustomed to my pick up truck