Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Voodo Soup- Hendrix

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JWC, May 24, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I ran across this old tape of Jimi the other day in my old tape box under the bed. Supposedly, it was some of his unreleased material. Easy Rider is on there, which IMO, could have been a huge hit in the day. Who is playing on this album? Gypsys or Experience or neither??

2. I've had a look at the songlist on Voodoo soup and it seems to be a compilation of songs that would later become 'First Rays Of The New Rising Sun',
    which is the album that Jimi didnt get to complete because of his death, and which was only released a few years ago. So to answer your question, it isnt The Experience, its the later Hendrix phase.
    Jim

3. Have you ever heard "Woke up and found myself dead"? Hendrix, Johnny Winter, and Jim Morrison, or so the disk says. Wow what a sloppy drunken, drug enduced, pile of poo.

4. gruffpuppy, I agree, it isnt the most listenable peice of music, but its valuable in that it has two of the biggest legends in the history of music together on stage. It was a once in a lifetime thing, and hey, it was Morrison and Hendrix, who really expected anything comprehensible?
    I've been hanging to buy the bootleg to an early Doors show in which Van Morrison and Jim Morrison jammed together on 'Gloria'. I cant wait to hear that.

5. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Truely appalling (repeat 3000 times) Morrison is a rude slob who had no right to get up, you can even hear Johnny Winter telling him to shut-up! Tomorrow Never Knows, the potential was great, but I don't think the album should have been released.

6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    yeah, but that's what made him Jim :)
    Morrison was the ultimate entertainer. Love him or hate him, you have to agree that no one had the overwhelming stage presence and aura as Morrison.

7. Well said JWC!

8. No way I can agree, have you two heard it?
    Totally useless, as APouncer said J Winter sounded like the only one that was even close to being sober. Hmm and the only one that is still alive.
    The band is loose and out of it, Morrison sounds like a useless drunk, could he use the F word even more. It should have been put in the vault and the vault should have been dropped in the ocean.

9. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Gruffpuppy is just jealous of the Lizard King. I think its a cool recording. I listended to it again yesterday because of this thread and I thought it was totally funny. Everytime Jim started to whail out a verse I rolled laughing my ass off.

10. Right on JWC!
    Gruff, Ive heard it, many times, and JWC is right, its hilarious. Its not the sort of thing you listen to to hear good music, its just a interesting moment in time that was captured on tape.
    I would have been disappointed if it had actually been a good, ordinary recording. Everything I know and everything I've read about those two, you could bet that when the Lizard King met the guitar god, it was going to be different in the very least.
    Sure, Morrison had no right to be up there, same as he also had no right to drop his pants on stage, he had no right to hang from hotel ledges naked, he had no right to disappear on drinking benders for days at a time, he had no right to disobey the producers of the Ed Sullivan show, he had no right to sing the cool poetry of 'The End' and get the band fired from their gig, he had no right to get arrested on stage for bad mouthing the police etc. etc. In other words, he had no right to be Jim Morrison. But he was. And music is so much cooler for it.
    Jim

11. No big deal, sorry I didn't find any humor or enjoyment in the disk. I have it on a real nice LP picture disk, hopefully it will be worth some good cash in the future.

12. GP, I'd say that it would be worth a bit right now. If you were ever interested in having it valued you could go to http://www.doors.com . Its a page for Doors bootlegs and memorabilia.
    Jim

13. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    He also had no right to stomp the Thanksgiving duck either....whoa....nevermind that was just made up for the movie.

He had no right to take head from Nico in an elevator...whoa....nevermind that too was just made up for the movie.

He had no right to just walk out off college. Oh wait...he finished college, that was made up for the movie as well.

Oh well....

14. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    He had no right to verbalise such profound insights into the human psyche . . . whoa. . . that was just 'cos he took an acid and made up for the movie

15. The movie was ok... I liked the trippy feel of it, but it missed so much. Where was the European tour? Or the holiday in Jamaica? The other arrests? I didnt like how quickly it moved, they seemed to be famous 5 mins after they formed and the 5 year period between the first album and Miami incident only took about 45 mins.
    Still it had some brilliant moments, 'The End' sequence was great, so was the 'Not To Touch The Earth' one. Jims poetry throughout was also put to good use. Loved the opening sequence, the "Did you have a good world when you died? Good enough to base a movie on?" poem was well used.
    Jim